Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Brookes on the Dry...

brookie dry fly dry fly fishing fly fishing small creek

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:10 AM

Brookies brookies every where!  Man, that 2nd creek I hit up was amazing wasnt it?  If I went there first, I have a feeling I could have gone further, and gotten some more fish.  I hear there are some larger brown trout up further in that creek, and the brooks seemed to get larger the further up I went also.  These were beautiful little fish, and ones that pulled quite well on that small 2wt rod.

Fly fishing and fly tying videos
www.McFlyAngler.com

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,157 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:27 AM

Nice video.  I love seeing (and fishing) tiny creeks like that.  Most people don't think water that skinny even holds fish, let alone ones that can put a bend in a rod.  It's about as "untouched" as can be expected.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:09 PM

Very entertaining video.
I was surprised to see fish that big for a stream that size.

#4 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:10 PM

Nice vid..

#5 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:23 AM

Thanks guys, Im glad you liked the video. And yeah, that creek was about to dry up, usually its not as skinny. Its actually already dried, no more flow. There are big pools though down stream a bit that hold the fish for next year. But it dries out every year usually a bit later in the season, but we had a dry winter here. I filmed this 2 weeks ago, just before it dried up.

www.McFlyAngler.com

#6 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:19 AM

You did remarkably well for the water being that low, I might not have even tried it.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#7 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,157 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:30 AM

Its actually already dried, no more flow. 

Do you ever get there after the flow stops, to see if there are fish trapped in shallow pools?  I wonder how many fish die during the dry up period.

You did remarkably well for the water being that low, I might not have even tried it.

That's one of the reason such places are great fishing experiences.  I have been asked, more times than I can remember, "Are there fish in there?  What do you catch?"

If I'm lucky, I hook a nice size fish while those questioners are standing there!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#8 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:02 PM

That looks like fun!

#9 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:57 PM

But right before the dry up is when its the best!  :) 

www.McFlyAngler.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brookie, dry fly, dry fly fishing, fly fishing, small creek