Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Zimmy

Tenkara

you have opened a

6666666666666.jpg

personally i just think its another method of fishing

use the search function at the top of the page to find numerous threads regarding the subject

I have a rod that I use. There are places that I cannot cast a regular fly rod, but can make a cast with the Tenkara rod.

I know some folks don't like them, but then most of my fishing is warmwater.

Rick

I'm new here. By my avatar it states I'm a bait fisherman, I have 1 post and 0 warning points.

I'm guessing the Bait fisherman comment is that I'm new.

I did make 1 post.

What is a warning point and how do I get them?

Your a tenkara fishermen when you have zero posts. You become a baitfishermen after your first post.

I tried it. I was in the fly shop I frequent several years ago when a customer who made frequent trips to Japan came back with one he had picked up for the owner for the small sum of $300. The guy showed us how to rig it and even gave us a "casting" demonstration. It looked interesting, but I wasn't interested in paying $300 for a rod I might only use a few times. Still there was something familiar about the rod. When I was in college down in NW Tennessee, I'd seen the locals using 15 foot cane poles rigged with a line the length of the rod and a bobber, a split shot and hook with either a minnow or cricket depending on what they were fishing for. It allowed them to get the bait under the branches of the cypress trees that dot the lake. They caught a lot more crappie and bream than my buddy and I did. Went home browsed the Cabela's catalog and found the graphite telescoping crappie rods without built in reels. Made by the same company that made the Tenkara rod. I ordered an 11 foot one for $21. When I got it I took it out to the shop and compared it to the $300 one, couldn't see much difference other than the price. Rigged it up but couldn't get up the nerve to fish it locally and it would have been difficult because most of the streams have overhanging trees. Did take it with me when I went back to Tennessee for a reunion with friends who I hung out with and partied with back then. Did manage to catch a couple crappie with it on a small Clouser. The next day I went out after a few drinks and picked up the rod not realizing the plug that holds the pieces in the base of the rod was loose. The rod collapse on itself with enough force to knock the plug out and the pieces fell into the river ending my brief career of Tenkara fishing. So if you want to try it see if you can find one of those crappie poles and give it a shot.

First, let me qualify this reply by saying I have two cane poles. There are situations where dipping a fly or small lure into open holes in weed mats is the best way to catch big fish.

So, I have nothing against ANY form of sport fishing. (I don't consider trot lining, jugging, netting or any other form of mass harvesting "sport fishing")

That said, I have ALWAYS had a problem with calling cane pole fishing "tenkara" just so they can charge extortionate prices for thin "cane" poles. I would love to have one ... I just refuse to pay more for a rod blank than I do for a completed rod with guides and reel seats, etc.

Tenkara is interesting, I've tried it, but it's not my thing. I like to cast too much and I also prefer a shorter rod for smaller fish, the longer rod kind of deadens the fight in my opinion. It's effective on smaller water with smaller fish, but it's limited. If you're ok with that maybe it's for you.

It's effective on smaller water with smaller fish,

You mean like the ones on this page:

http://www.zenflyfishinggear.com/news/

or in the video on this page:

https://www.facebook.com/zenflyfishinggear/videos/601988903332708/?pnref=story

I know guys that target carp with tenkara.

You may not find it enjoyable (I'm indiffierent about it), but it's not as limited as you might think.

I'll give my .02 on it without going too far into the whole long drawn out issue of fly fishing/tenkara debate that has been hashed out over & over on most fly fishing forums out there online in the past.

My personal opinion is that calling tenkara "fly fishing" is the same as calling "chuck & duck" fishing fly fishing. You are using a fly on the line but that's where the similarities end. Back in my salmon fishing days I did a lot of chuck & duck fishing for them so I'm not putting that style of fishing down, but rather just being honest in saying it is not fly fishing by the true definition of what qualifies as fly fishing by my nor many peoples view. It's effective, it can be used to catch fish of all sizes, and I'm sure many people do enjoy it. With that said it's not fly fishing in my opinion, and it has no appeal to me to ever try it. Doesn't mean that others don't enjoy it though, just not my cup of coffee (I hate tea ;) )

ohmy.png But ... but ... Bonsai and TEA go together like sunshine and warmth !!!

wink.png

Agreed with all else said. And as I said before, I'd LOVE to have one of those rods. If they'd sell them for what they're worth in materials and labor (Maybe $30.00) ... then I'd have one. Why? Because there are times when cane pole fishing will put more fillets in the frying pan than any other method.

I'll give my .02 on it without going too far into the whole long drawn out issue of fly fishing/tenkara debate that has been hashed out over & over on most fly fishing forums out there online in the past.

My personal opinion is that calling tenkara "fly fishing" is the same as calling "chuck & duck" fishing fly fishing. You are using a fly on the line but that's where the similarities end. Back in my salmon fishing days I did a lot of chuck & duck fishing for them so I'm not putting that style of fishing down, but rather just being honest in saying it is not fly fishing by the true definition of what qualifies as fly fishing by my nor many peoples view. It's effective, it can be used to catch fish of all sizes, and I'm sure many people do enjoy it. With that said it's not fly fishing in my opinion, and it has no appeal to me to ever try it. Doesn't mean that others don't enjoy it though, just not my cup of coffee (I hate tea wink.png )

It's pretty what all fly fishing was before the mid-1800's. In fact, as late as 1885, David Webster in The Angler and the Loop Rod, claimed that fishing with other than a fixed line wasn't real fly fishing. There are times when I would be inclined to agree with him, except I find a reel too convenient.ll fly fishing was before the mid-1800's.