Fly Tying
troutslayerny

Pins for Wedding corsage

I can lead you to a couple. You can find them on ebay really cheap. But CHEAP is the word. They are the lowest quality ones I've found to date. But they look fine once tied. Just not as good as the others. But when they average $1 each a hook it's not bad (you normally pay $3-5 a hook for the brooch pins).

Dan Baileys has them, and the coolest ones I've found to date are the one's offered by Hunter's Angling. They actually took real hooks and sodered clasp pins on them. Not the pin you normally see on these brooch pins. That's if you want a real hook. I've actually went to point of taking hooks, making my own clasp (with spinner making wire), filling down the edge so it's sharp, and just wrapping it on the hook previous to tying body. Then supergluing a silver or gold bead chain over the hook point. Works great. Have a trashed pin, it's spent many a days on my fishing hat in jet boats and rainshowers. So fly is about dead now. But you'll see how it looks. I'll see if I can drag it up and post it for you.

Sidenote edit here. They do use real hooks for the broochpins. But not hooks you'd normally use for say salmon flies. They are an offset hook, and pretty odd shaped. They do work, but I do like tying on a hook I'd actually fish normally.

Edited by Steelheader69

I was in the Hunter's Angling store last week and looked at these - they are really nicely done. I was trying to think about how I could use some but I've been hitched for 17 years and my kids aren't old enough to get married yet (at least not in MA).

cheers,

Michael

I did the fly in the corsage thing for my wedding and the florist just used florist wire to bind the shank of the hook into the corsage, it looked great.

john

Ok, found it. This is it. It's pretty weathered now, but you can get the idea. Oh, and if you do make them like this, keep your clasp back. I crowded the head with my homemade clasp, and made the head huge (since there was a buildup of thread already there thanks to the clasp).

user posted image

Oh, BTW, the fly in my avatar is tied on a gold brooch pin. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the replies!

Is it difficult to tie around the pin?

I feel great about my regular trout flies but have not gained confindence in my streamers. I attached a mickey finn pic that I tied this weekend. I woudl appreciate a very critical response and some tips.

I used synthetic duster material (cut it from a duster) and danville's monocord.

What thread is easiest to whip finish (I use a tool but can do it by hand) to get a nice head and cut back on the number of wraps...

post-2-1105051112.jpg

Edited by troutslayerny

It's not hard tying around the pin. With the ones that are more of a folding clasp, you have to becareful by the point. Normally have to bend it out (VERY carefully) 90 degrees from the hook. But once you're past that, it's not too bad. I just use my normal tying thread for the hooks.

I have used that duster hair for everything, its wild stuff. the thread you were using was too big for that fly. You could of used 6/0 or even 8/0, Uni thread.

The fly looks real good try the differnt threads and see how you make out. you will find these threads easier to whip finnish as well. Monocord and any thread from Danvilles is like floss and slippery, wax will help and so will a small drop of head cement on the thread before whip finnish. Make sure you whip finnish with the monocord where it is flat, it will just slide, if it is done on a slope. (a couple of extra turns with the whip finnish tool wont hurt 7 or even 9).

How did you tie in the duster hair? I usually double it back on its self.

I have never try tying on a pin before. Guess I'll have to give it a whirl. On this site about a month ago they had a swap tying on saftey pins. Should practice and then I'd be ready for the next one. Might be a good idea to spend the buck and get the cheaper pins to practice on, and then try the better pins.

QUOTE (daryn smith @ Jan 6 2005, 08:28 PM)

How did you tie in the duster hair? I usually double it back on its self.

I do not double back because the head gets too big. So I tie in the first layer then make two wraps around just the material (see the black thread over the yellow in close-up view), I cut the next (red/orange) at an angle and tie it in then wrap two wraps around just the 2nd layer and then two wraps around both layers, and repeat this process for the last layer. I can't pull out any material when done.

Thanks for the thread tip, that was a size 8 mustad streamer, so I figured that the danville's would make a nice head...

I do use uni-thread, but have only been using 8/0 on my dry-flies...

This site is teaching me so much...

Any tips for giving a new life to what seems to be dried out brittle thread?

post-2-1105099442.jpg

If you can't decide what kind of corsage what you want, go to the http://www.weddingforward.com/wedding-hairstyles-medium-hair/ page. There you can see billions of different examples of wedding corsages and other stuff connected with this matter. The resource was very helpful for my friends who getting married last month. She was so excited with dress’ ideas of the resource! Sometimes such a wise advice is what we need.

If you can't decide what kind of corsage what you want, go to the http://www.weddingforward.com/wedding-hairstyles-medium-hair/ page. There you can see billions of different examples of wedding corsages and other stuff connected with this matter. The resource was very helpful for my friends who getting married last month. She was so excited with dress’ ideas of the resource! Sometimes such a wise advice is what we need.

oh, you just read my mind :-)