Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Poll: Bucktail, or Synthetics for Larger Size Streamers?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll: Bucktail, or Synthetics? (75 member(s) have cast votes)

How many use only bucktail, and how do you use it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How many use bucktail, and use synthetics?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What hook sizes do you tie on with bucktail?

What is the range of streamer lengths you tie most with bucktail??

Do you only tie with synthetics?

If you only use synthetics, what is the hook size range you tie on?

What is the average length of flies you tie with synthetics

For either material, or combined, what is the fly length you tie most?

If the price of synthetics greatly increases, would you stop using them?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

:lol: it is an old poll

Almost 20 months! I have a hard enough time trying to remember what I did yesterday! :(

#17 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

I tie with both (right now synthetic fur) from 1" to 16" flies. I like to mix the materials, buck tail is a little stiffer where syn. is softer and flows nicely.I found some long (4" craft fur) with flas-a-bou already in it which is making some really nice flies.Great saltwater and fresh water patterns with it.I get buck tail from my supplier with 6" long or longer hair (saltwater)

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#18 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,205 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 06:18 AM

I prefer bucktail when I want a defined profile in the water. Moves well enough but won't collapse when the fly turns against current or tide.
Synthetics can loose all their shape at points of the retrieve.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#19 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

There are a lot of these surveys that ask absolute questions.  How can I say I only tie streamers with fur, feather, or fake?  It depends on the streamer.  Some use all three.

Grumpy old man I guess.

#20 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,508 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:59 PM

I don't really see them as "absolute" questions, Flicted.  Just questions pertaining to specific materials.  It's often repeated on this site and others ... if you want specific answers, ask specific questions.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#21 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:16 PM

Too many questions, I have some a.d.d. - short story; almost always will chose natural over synthetic, because I've not found synthetics easy to use well and mostly find they don't catch fish, for me, even if store bought. The natural might not be bucktail though.

Also it bugs me that synthetics  are often forever trash that will never biodegrade. Lakes, streams and oceans seem to have enough plastic in them already.

#22 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:06 AM

Agree natural and agree trash.

I have to say though that I rarely tie "large" streamers. But up to 4" streamers, I only use synthetic materials if what I'm tying is supposed to be made with synthetic. (sarcasm intended) I guess what I'm saying is, I would never tie a Mickey Finn with synthetic materials for the wing. Sure, it would probably work, it's just not what I believe in. But a Murdich Minnow cannot be made with natural materials. I might add a little flash to a Deceiver or other streamer that is mostly natural materials, but it's really not a yes/no, black/white question.

To further cloud the discussion, most of what I would consider "natural" hair, feather, or bucktail streamers use tinsel, wire, a hook. Unless we use silk thread, I guess we are all tying with synthetics.