Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Feather Thief

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#106 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:02 PM

Mike, as Gene said, he's not the good guy in the book, he's the evil villain. The author tried to make himself the "hero", "The Blue Chatterer, defender of wildlife". He can't fly or see through walls though. He doesn't have any super powers at all.........and he actually doesn't catch anybody or save any animals. I think he writes pretty good though.

You'd have to read the book to know that though. smile.png Just teasing, there's not going to be a quiz.

#107 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

It's a book about obsession.  Rist was an excellent tier, an exceptional tier, but then he had a steady source of feathers no longer available.  He was a concert flautist, as well.  He wanted a new flute, like a high-grade one, which he bought with flies from stolen feathers.  He made money at the expense of a museum's collection dating back a hundred years.  He would take an entire day to tie a fly and sell it for a thousand bucks.  The point (or one point) is salmon don't care how a fly looks, they can't feed when migrating, and any fly will work just fine.  Rist appealed to those who could afford a display fly, not a fisherman.

#108 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:48 AM

Not to be nit-picky, but he earned money for his golden flute, (yes, a flute made of gold) by selling the feathers he stole to other tiers at very high prices. He may have sold some flies too, but the book made no mention of it. (not that I remember).

#109 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

I just read the story of this guy here-  Is Rist going to be the villain in the next James Bond movie?

https://news.nationa...me-of-an-obses/

And you thought golf was frustrating-

#110 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:40 PM

Nope ... I don't like books, TV shows, etc. that portray crooks as "the good guy". 

From these threads, that's the gist.

These discussions are as close to this book as I want to get.

It looks like you got the wrong gist. As others have said, he was not a crook portrayed as a good guy. But then, you would never know that for sure because you did not read the book.

Joe

#111 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,509 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:37 PM

Yep, you are correct, Joe, I will never read the book.  You may also be correct that I got the wrong gist.  Okay, I'm good with that.

I can agree, however, with another's comment that a thief or other crook should be punished.  That's all I did with the "hear, hear, comment above.  Don't have to read a book for that.

I'm just tired of all the "gray area" people ... who think this crime or that one is "victim-less".  Integrity is an archaic ideology, it seems.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#112 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:53 PM

British law, British Justice. Integrity? idk

#113 brooknut

brooknut

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

I'm eager to see the movie.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.   Henry David Thoreau