Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

I don't like my dubbing loop spinner.

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#16 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:00 AM

renzetti version of the turkey skewer renzetti-renzetti-dubbing-twister__59892   41boJVylbLL._AC_US218_.jpg

Frank Matarelli made one similar,  I've also seen one that used the straight end as a half hitch tool rather than bodkin. I don't like the big glob spinner that most guys apparently  do or the loose handle that some tools have. A single hook or loop lets the twist be tighter at the end and thus the tool can't fall off;  with the two point tool I would make the loop longer than the dubbed part so that the thread can bind to the tool or use pliers to hold and wind as suggested.

https://globalflyfis...bing-techniques

https://www.bobmarri...s/dubbing-tools

Those Dubbit tools are sold at most suppliers.

#17 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,527 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:37 AM

qMK0SK6.jpg

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#18 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:10 AM

I use the Dr. Slick dubbing spinner, when I use a dubbing loop.  I like it a lot, and have fun demonstrating it.

Gary Borger has switched his tool/technique, a bit.  Last year, at the Fly Fishing Show, he was demonstrating this tool from Ikea: 

https://www.ikea.com...1132211556208_1

He cut the end off, and bent the shaft into a hook.  Cute, and he obviously was having fun with it.  Still, I like the brass spinner.  It's fun too....

#19 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:27 AM

2 AA batteries oughter git it did, quick

#20 salmobytes

salmobytes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:50 AM

I attach hackle pliers to the bottom thread-only part of the loop and spin those, twisting at the jaws of the hackle pliers hard and fast like snapping your thumb.  I have two or three loop twisting tools and they all piss me off.

/* Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh >--oO0>
** http://montana-riverboats.com */

#21 Sandan

Sandan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:59 AM

Dr. slick as per fshng2 (that's the one I use) or https://www.anglersall.com/fly-tying/tools/dyna-king-dubbing-whirl Dyna-King_Dubbing_Whirl.jpg

#22 Kimo

Kimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:29 AM

For most of my needs creating a dubbing loop
using the split thread method a heavy bobbin

is sufficient. The bobbin I use are the C&F bobbins for their weight.

CF_Design_CFT-60_Standard_Bobbin_With_Th
For heavier applications such as composite loops I use the 
bobbin from OPST. I have modified it by adding weight to the 
spinning handle and added a double hook to it.

387554245.jpg

I also like the one that SilverCreek suggests.
I can play with that thing for hours using 
it as a fidget spinner.

Kimo

#23 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:42 PM

I use the Dr. Slick dubbing spinner, when I use a dubbing loop.  I like it a lot, and have fun demonstrating it.

Gary Borger has switched his tool/technique, a bit.  Last year, at the Fly Fishing Show, he was demonstrating this tool from Ikea: 

https://www.ikea.com...1132211556208_1

He cut the end off, and bent the shaft into a hook.  Cute, and he obviously was having fun with it.  Still, I like the brass spinner.  It's fun too....

That is too funny.

#24 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for all the help everybody. I haven't made up my mind yet but I'm getting closer. Nothing says I have to get just one. Thanks again.

#25 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:46 PM

Here's what I use... sad but true.... I'm feeling a little under-equipped in this crowd...
terra-deluxe-hook-dubbing-loop-tool_1.jpg
But hey, it does get the job done.
cb27

#26 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:03 PM

I like that one Chugbug, almost as light in the hand as mine.

#27 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:02 PM

If you do not use loops much, anything will work including test clips, paper clips, hackle pliers, etc.  If you use them a lot, then a designated tool is much more useful, and you want something that spins easily and fast.  Like Scott, I like something with ball bearings.  While the Dubbit tools is OK, I found the Dyna King Dubbing Spin Master to be the best I've played with so far.  I insisted for years that it was an unnecessary extravagance, and now I could not live without it.  Pricey, yes, but gets the job done whether tying large or small patterns.  Tie a few mohair leech patterns with one, and you will immediately see the advantage.  YMMV.

#28 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,525 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

I don't like "light" for a spinner.  I'm accustom to being able to "hard and fast like snapping your thumb" (as salmobytes says) and letting the tool spin a few dozen times.  You can't get that reaction with a light tool.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#29 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:12 PM

I don't like "light" for a spinner.  I'm accustom to being able to "hard and fast like snapping your thumb" (as salmobytes says) and letting the tool spin a few dozen times.  You can't get that reaction with a light tool.

Good stuff, thanks guys.

#30 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:15 PM

Here's what I use... sad but true.... I'm feeling a little under-equipped in this crowd...
attachicon.gif terra-deluxe-hook-dubbing-loop-tool_1.jpg
But hey, it does get the job done.

I think heavier fits my style better, and probably two hooks, but I'm going to try this style, too. Thanks