Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

midge larva - wich is your favorite fly?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:11 AM

Hi guys, 
 Here is my version of larva midge. It works great for me  and is tied with black thread and red catgut. I make it simple as possible  on small and very small hooks. The is  deadly for grayling and trout when I used it in deep pools with sediments . I never fished on lakes  and I do not know  how works but I presume that can catch a few fish...
midge-2-980x654.jpg

midge-3.jpg

midge.jpg

Do you have other versions that work for you? Can you share them?

Thanks!

#2 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:29 AM

Do you weight it? Is it best as dead drift or given some action?

#3 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,486 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:34 AM

I don't tie anything that small.  If I did, I'd have a day full of 2 inch Bluegill.  

I like that, just wouldn't use it.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:25 AM

That cat gut definitely works for that glow.
On lakes I use an orange beading elastic stretched as tight as I can over olive thread.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#5 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:41 PM

bloodworm.jpg

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#6 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 02:27 PM

Size 20 midge. Tied with Troutline materials. Excuse the poor picture. I am definitely not the photographer you are. 2C60735A-1801-4BE7-8BBD-CF610FA0530D.jpeg

#7 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 02:31 PM

I tie most all of my midges with just thread and wire, no weight, but some on the leader at times.   The little orange one works very well in winter.  But like Mike, I am now in Florida, and I don't do much midge fishing.

Attached Thumbnails

• size 18 orange midge.JPG
  • Red midge crop.JPG
  • Midge larvae crop.JPG

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#8 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 02:45 PM

mY2tgZs.jpg

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#9 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:41 PM

Even though midges are prevalent in the local streams I fish, I really don't use midge larva.  These streams also have sunfish and like Mike I don't enjoy catching two inch sunfish.  The only two size 32's I ever tied for fishing were taken by two inch sunfish.   It's a nice pattern and I'm probably going to tie up a few similar onesfor the fly boxes I'm making up for my niece and her husband to use next spring once they're settled in Vermont.  One thing they'd be useful for around here would be ice fishing.  Not sure we'll get any fishable ice this winter, but tied in sizes 14 to 18 they should work on pan fish.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#10 Highdesert

Highdesert

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

Nice color combo, using different colors for the under body and over body gives it that translucent shuck look that seems to fool the picky ones. I use something similar on the lakes in the Southern Rockies and it is probably my most consistent producer for small and medium size fish in the colder months. Search Youtube for "Midge Fly Emerging music by Lokitas," for footage of a midge emerging underwater. I thought it was pretty cool.