Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Dealing with Parkinson's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:58 PM

.I'm pretty sure I've got Parkinson's.  Got a tremor in my left hand, which has somewhat limited my tying in smaller sizes.  I'm going for treatment (I hope) Friday which I hope will reduce the tremor.  Anyone got any experience/advice?

#2 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:07 PM

I have tremors also. It's attributed to my tying style. I always have my left hand on my vise.

Hope the treatment helps. What helped me was medication, propranolol. I have been on a low dosage but has been recently increased.

Just may be familial tremors and not parkinsons.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#3 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:08 AM

Parkinson's has other more serious symptoms than just shakes, especially as it advances. I've known and know a few people with it. I won't pretend to know how their lives were or are but it's sufficient to say they were changed. With that said there are various kinds of tremors we can get, it doesn't have to be Parkinson's. I'll be praying for your appointment Fri. And if it is Parkinson's, last I knew the medical field was getting close to some breakthroughs in treatment options, we can hope for those.

Let us know how it goes.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#4 Rolf Jacobsen

Rolf Jacobsen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

I thought I had Parkinsons, (tremors and balance issues). Turns out it was Essential Tremors which is treatable with meds. See what the doc says and wishing you good luck.

Brook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.

#5 salmobytes

salmobytes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:50 PM

I have CSS (can't see s...). Had retina surgery that didn't go well.  I don't tie much anymore.  Not like I used to anyway.  Don't know what to say.  This old age business is overrated.  Good luck to you.

/* Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh >--oO0>
** http://montana-riverboats.com */

#6 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:19 AM

1. Go to a neurologist and get appropriate diagnosis and treatment.
2. Learn to love streamers or Bass fishing.

Getting "seasoned" can suck. I have CSS, and CRS. Can't remember S.... At least I can enjoy re-watching favorite movies, if I can remember their names.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach