Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

"Deer-Hair Fly-Tying Guidebook" Any good?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hardyrod1974

Hardyrod1974

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:33 PM

Has anyone out there used this book?

I have a good handle on the basics and do OK ish with the easy stuff but would like to learn more.

Thank you.

Richard  

Attached Thumbnails

• Deerhair book.jpg

#2 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

Jack Pangburn was a very acomplished tier, I never opened his deer hair book but his style in every thing he tied and his art work was top notch. 

#3 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

Have not read this book but amazon.com can tell you a lot about a book if there is a sample available.  Looking at the contents page there is a definite emphasis on scope rather than detail and is a surprisingly short book (63 pages).  Based on the table of contents, appears to be written for beginners and covers many aspects of tying with deer hair (e.g. wings, bodies, hair selection, spinning), rather than just focusing on a particular topic.  This might be good or bad depending on the reader's level of experience.

#4 Hardyrod1974

Hardyrod1974

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:45 AM

I received my copy in the mail yesterday.

I did look at the Amazon preview (I wish it had showed more). I took a chance.

What Whatfly said about scope and not detail is very true.

If I had the book in hand before paying for it, I'd still have my $9.99 to spend on something more worth while. Live and learn

#5 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,507 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:24 AM

Send it back

Try to find a vhs or DVD by Chris helm

YouTube has some Chris helm tying videos

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#6 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:30 AM

The reason I don't like buying anything on line.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#7 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

I wouldn't return it for 10 buck's, I think mailing might cost you half of that. You could give it to a young kid. I bet they'd love it. You could save it for a Christmas present for someone who has admired your flies.

#8 Hardyrod1974

Hardyrod1974

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:32 PM

Flytire,

At this point sending it back is not realistic. Say it only costs $3 to send it back and I get the $5 purchase cost refunded. Add the original $4.99 shipping cost to the $3 to return it. So in the end I've spent $7.99 for postage for a book I no longer own.

#9 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,507 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:46 PM

it was only a suggestion.

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#10 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:24 PM

Realistically that's the cost of a sandwich and drink, or less.

#11 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:54 PM

+1 on Flytire's suggestion of a Chris Helm video.

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman