Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

what do you guys fish when the little black stones hit the water

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:46 AM

black pheasant tails

H2X2qAh.jpg

Hi Flytire,

What size do you tie those small stones? Also, where do you live? I'm from PA. I usually do okay with the small black stones on the Casselman River in Maryland. Thanks

#17 NJfly

NJfly

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:35 AM

I started tying up some collins electric stonefly.  You can find it on youtube.  I am in Northern NJ.  I learned how to fly fish on the Casselman when i was a student at WVU 20 years ago.  I still go back to fish the Savage, it is one of my favorite rivers.  I have been tying then in a size 16, i rarely get topwater action on them when they are hatching.  

#18 RiverCred

RiverCred

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:08 PM

Another vote for black pheasant tail. You really can't go wrong with this fly.

#19 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:50 PM

That seems to be true. I am tying up a mess of black pheasant tail nymphs in hopes of starting the season right. The problem here is the hatch generally happens when the river is (mostly) still frozen over. I see the little buggers on the snow but can't find much water to fish in....  

#20 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:06 PM

Might try a Dark Lord (prince var.)
cb27