Fly Tying
Bazzer69

The ultimate vise?

Here you go, Ive never seen one of these for sale anywhere. I understand the waiting list is several years. If I bought this vise it would have to be financed over several years. Is it better than a LAW or my CAEngineering vise? I doubt it, but boy is it nice looking, some lucky person will own it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Damaseal-Fly-Tying-Vise-Nickel-Silver-Damascus-Stainless-Steel/132919799905?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D8721ff16d1834954a45fbb567d28e04c%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D132919799905%26itm%3D132919799905&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A88269f95-1b10-11e9-941a-74dbd1809b35%7Cparentrq%3A60a045ac1680ac1e66548163ffff7f61%7Ciid%3A1

Well one thing is for sure, it is pretty but it won't tie a fly better then my 70's era Thompson. I'd get more excited putting that money in my 401K. Am I the only person who doesn't dream over things to finance?

For me that is the holy grail of tying vises. Made by Ekich, he has some fantastic automatic bobbin holders as well. Like his vise the bobbin holders are expensive. Mine is his "cheap" model at $70 but the quality is well worth it. Like the quality of the vise is worth it.

No, Poopdeck, you aren't alone in your desire to remain debt free. Wife and I have been for many years.

On top of that ... I don't even find that vise appealing. I love damascus ... but it's use in this case doesn't add to it's looks. The arm and jaws might be hand made, but the shape is ... too organic? I can't say flowing, because it doesn't in my eyes. It looks like someone took internal organs out of some critter and metal coated them.

The stand and base are nicer to look at, but NOT worth that price.

Even if I had millions and could afford that with pocket money, I wouldn't buy it because it's uglier that a gift shop snow globe.

The one pictured for ebay may have had the base changed out. On the Ekich website it shows a white marble base.

While I can appreciate the craftsmanship required I am decidedly not a fan of the Damascus. Just my personal taste. A Few years back my wife and I were in Beverly Hills, walking on Rodeo Drive. I remember being astonished at the sight of a ladies hand bag for $29,000 and a mans neck tie for $6,000 in a window of a store and both were made of just fabric no jewels.

While I can appreciate the craftsmanship required I am decidedly not a fan of the Damascus. Just my personal taste. A Few years back my wife and I were in Beverly Hills, walking on Rodeo Drive. I remember being astonished at the sight of a ladies hand bag for $29,000 and a mans neck tie for $6,000 in a window of a store and both were made of just fabric no jewels.

What's really astonishing is that some dumb-arse Hollywood celebrity that makes absurd amounts of money just entertaining people will actually buy that stuff.

I agree with most of you. Did he just change the base and the jaws? It looks like the rest is a stock vice. I'm not turned on by the shape of the jaws either.

Certainly, I wouldn't knock the eventual owner for his taste. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Some people don't care for some of the stuff I make either and I have a five year back log of orders. So there you go.

PS, the person that buys this vise will not be financing anything. I wouldn't knock the guy that buys it, nor would I knock the guy selling it. Art is art, this is art.

It really doesn't make any sense to think about it practically. Practicality has nothing to do with this vise.