Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Getting Started - Again

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:35 AM

It has been about 40 years ago I tied flies, still have all the materials hooks and tools. 

Looking at working thru R.B. Trout plates, any suggestions on where to find pattern descriptions with materials?

41YGVpx14qL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#17 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:01 PM

There are several copies of "Trout" on eBay right now. I bid on one of them. Please don't bid against me. wink.png biggrin.png laugh.png rolleyes.gif

#18 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:10 PM

Norm, Just for fun, i'll answer the question in your signature.

I check peoples profile after they make a post to see how old they are, and how long they have been on the forum. I also like to know a little about the people I talk with.

It helps me decide if what they had to say has any validity or was it just a young kid talking without experience. Being young is fine but sometimes they share opinions with no practical knowledge.

Ya kinda gotta filter the things you read on the internet. (you know)

#19 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

Ya kinda gotta filter the things you read on the internet. (you know)

Mark- So are you saying it wasn't aliens who took the missing Malaysian airliner?  LOL

And you thought golf was frustrating-

#20 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

DF, no, it wasn't them, but for some reason they did take the bag of new fluorocarbon leaders ($50.00 worth) I just bought at Sportsman's Warehouse. It's the only plausible explanation.

#21 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:49 PM

The collection from Hatches magazine is amazing, 234 flies with the recipes. I'd love to have that in print.

#22 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:42 PM

having been here since 2004 and having over 10,400 posts you cant be too sure who your talking to. maybe im not the one to prove validity smile.png

who knows what data is being collected. lots of trolls out there

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#23 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:40 AM

DF, no, it wasn't them, but for some reason they did take the bag of new fluorocarbon leaders ($50.00 worth) I just bought at Sportsman's Warehouse. It's the only plausible explanation.

The advantage and problem with fluorocarbon-  It's hard to see.

And you thought golf was frustrating-