Fly Tying
mikechell

Found while fishing

I tried to find a thread about items found while fishing. I failed. So, I'm starting this one to show my latest find. And my largest ...

Wow, I never seem to find those sorts of things.

I usually find things like forceps and tippet along the streams. I usually hang on to them if I can't locate the owner. Then they are given to someone who loses a like item.

Why did you not just jump out of the boat and flip the canoe upside down or flip it upside down from your boat

Looks like you were in 2 to 4 feet of water.

Craziest thing Ive found murdered victim....Basque Sheep Hearder that I knew...drank wine with himmany times.

Spent 1 day in jail while they did ballistics on my .22(cause thats what killed him and I had one me when I called it in)

Turns out his cousin did it and he had $37,000 in cash in his money belt when I found him... cousin got $7000 in cash when he murdered him.

Once found a wood framed, rubber catch & release net along the edge of the Colorado near Pumphouse. Took the net home & posted a notice on Craigslist. Couple days later, a guy called and described the exact area where he lost it, which was where I found it. He even brought me a Fat Tire ale as a Reward when he came to retrieve it!

:P

I usually hang on to them if I can't locate the owner.

I have contemplated trying to find an owner ... looked for numbers or identifying marks. Then I found the 4 inch hole where the keel had rubbed through.

Some poor guy is on the other side of that brush having a quick poo and now his boats gone.

Nope ... This boat had been in this spot long enough to grow a thick later of moss. It also had the remains of an Apple Snail egg cluster on it. Probably been there at least a month.

Why did you not just jump out of the boat and flip the canoe upside down or flip it upside down from your boat

Looks like you were in 2 to 4 feet of water.

The sloughs and "bays" off the St. Johns River are muck bottomed. We have a high vegetation cycle, with massive growth in the Spring/Summer and a die off each Fall/Winter. Still water areas quickly develop layers of muck several feet thick. But this particular area was about 3 feet deep to the muck ... no telling how deep the muck was.

Took the net home & posted a notice on Craigslist.

I've never posted anything on Craigslist. I've thought about it. Seriously, I don't have a real need for this canoe. with the amount of scratches and cuts on the bottom, it was well used. I'd think who ever lost it either didn't look for it, or didn't find it. But I'd bet they bought a replacement already.

As I said, it has a 4 inch long hole along the keel. I might try to find an owner ... or I might just put it up for sale, let somebody have it for a few bucks for my time. If I get the hole fixed ... it'll be worth that.

if you can't get a normal patch to stick i bet you could mold a bit of fiberglass to fix and use vulkem to seal it probably want some kind of mechanical fastener as well.

No numbers, registration or serial.

Again if it's a Coleman ( I keep saying that because it looks like one) then the number is stamped right into the hull material an inch or two down from the gunwale. The stamping is probably about 6-10 inches back from one end of the canoe or the other along the side. I'm sure it has one, it just won't be a plate.

Their plastic material is called Ram-X. I just know that not much likes to stick to it if to try and glue something on.. Ram X is polyethylene plastic ( other brands use poly as well). Usually it's suggested to use a plastic weld to repair this material. Several videos and tutorials online, also repair kits available from various canoe manufacturers. I'm sure you will figure out something .

No tellin what you'll find out on the water lol. I'd bet someone was out and it started leaking and they just said the hell with it and left it there. Slobs all over the places these days. I've found a few things while on the river. Last year found a nice headlamp in the river by the dam. Still worked great after pulling it out of the water. Biggest find was about 8 years ago when I found a Shimano Stella on a G.Loomis spin rod on the side of the road. Guessing someone had it laid in a boat and it must have bounced out as they were going down the hwy. No real way to find the owner of that so I stuck it on ebay and got some good cash out of that one.

while fishing the big horn river in montana i hauled out a full fly rod setup out of a deep swirling pool. nothing that expensive. rod, reel and even the fly hook to one of the guides. my guess is it fell out of a drift boat entering a really technical area with an inexperienced oarsman handling the boat

Reportedly a dead hippopotamus was found in a pool on the Mecan River in Wisconsin in 1994. Allegedly it escaped from a local game farm or zoo. The owner tried to capture it but was not successful. He shot it the day before trout season opened because he feared it might injure someone.