Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
David 82nd

Looking for pelican quill

Hey guys having trouble finding this , I've looked in the shops I usually order from it seems everyone is out

The only exception is a shop in " Romania " I've seen this at competitive angler and Fish food ? Nobody has it , if anybody knows where some is in stock I'd appreciate it ..thanks guys

Pelican quill? What do you use it for. Would love to see a post of that. I've seen poppers made from large feather quills. Is that what your doing? Or are you using the fibers from the feather for something. Curiosity killed the cat dude, and today I guess I'm the cat.

"Pelican, heron, parrots and swan herls and biots are very rare and almost impossible to find and if you find them are not cheap at all."-from your article. I'd go with goose or turkey biots.

pelican quill below

pelican-quills-on-size-_12-hook.jpg

looks like a goose or turkey biot will make an excellent substitution. the fish will never know the difference

whats "legal" in "romania" may not be "legal" in the usa

White pelican (and probably brown too) are migratory, so I assume possessing their feathers is illegal in the U.S. Same thing for Heron. Like the article says there are lots of suitable substitutes like goose and turkey. I use turkey biots all the time for bodies on dries and emergers.

About two years ago I found a fresh dead Great Blue Heron on the side of the road. Since I keep FWC's ( Florida Wildlife Commission ) in my phone I gave them a call and inquired as to the legality of plucking a few feathers from it. The answering officer said he would check it out for me. After a minute or so the officer came back on said "pluck away".

I may have to inquire about pelicans now since quite a few are dying around this area of Florida due our toxic environment.

I'm sure though that if one were to try and start selling these feathers there would be a legal issue.

If you are after something larger try the biots from peacock primary.

Cheers,

C.

protected

PELICAN, American White, Pelecanus erythrorhynchos
Brown, Pelecanus occidentalis

HERON, Gray, Ardea cinerea

Great Blue, Ardea herodias
Green, Butorides virescens
Little Blue, Egretta caerulea
Tricolored, Egretta tricolor

https://www.fws.gov/birds/management/managed-species/migratory-bird-treaty-act-protected-species.php

About two years ago I found a fresh dead Great Blue Heron on the side of the road. Since I keep FWC's ( Florida Wildlife Commission ) in my phone I gave them a call and inquired as to the legality of plucking a few feathers from it. The answering officer said he would check it out for me. After a minute or so the officer came back on said "pluck away".

I may have to inquire about pelicans now since quite a few are dying around this area of Florida due our toxic environment.

I'm sure though that if one were to try and start selling these feathers there would be a legal issue.

Suspect you were misinformed, Saltybum. You cannot for example pick up an eagle feather on the ground (at least without a special permit issued by USFWS). The argument is to prevent any excuse for having feathers from protected species in one's possession. I would be very suspicious of what your local fish and game told you, personally. Heron should be protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty, which according to Wikipedia does not distinguish between feather from live or dead animals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migratory_Bird_Treaty_Act_of_1918.

Yes, Saltybum, you were misinformed. Heron is legal in Canada, but illegal to possess in the U.S.. Heron hackles are traditional for some larger spey patterns, but since they're illegal here in the states we've had to find substitutes like blue eared pheasant. I find heron all the time in several places I fish, but I've always kept my hands in my pockets. It doesn't seem worth it considering the possible fine.

Pelican quill is not illegal to sell in the USA. As Davis 82nd stated in his original post, Competitive Angler (PA, USA) does carry it but they are out of stock on most colors.

http://competitiveangler.com/products/troutline-pelican-quill-segment-condor-substitute

Kind of thought this, thanks , it's used a lot over seas , Competitive angler sells it , and states on web site that it is a substitute for " condor? That's not legal lol , the reason I want this material is for the distinctive defined ribbing , I currently use turkey, goose, as well as the quill from a Rhode Island Red after it's been soaked , and fibers removed , I seen the recipe on troutline.ro , " overseas site ?

I called competitive angler today and they have me on list when next order comes in , I'll keep you posted if anybody else is looking for some

Lots of peacock in a couple areas near me and they aren't owned by anyone and not indigenous either, hence not protected.

Might even be good eating too.