Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Isonychia

Source for silver badger hen capes?

I'm currently in the market for a silver badger hen cape, but am having a lot of trouble finding a merchant that carries such a critter.

I thought I had the problem solved when I ordered a Whiting silver badger hen cape from Bob Marriott's. One of the clerks at Marriott's called me to say that Whiting no longer produces a silver badger. The clerk offered to send me a natural-colored Brahma hen neck, which she said would be the equivalent of a silver badger. It arrived yesterday. It has the same basic look as the silver badger, but the black webby section in the center is much more broad that the narrow stripe found in a "traditional" silver badger cape.

Does anyone out there know of a good, reliable source for a silver badger hen cape? Thanks in advance for your advice.

John

Try Conranch Hackle out of Washington. Call him and tell him what you want or just e-mail him or his partner/daughter, Liz.

phone number: 509-999-7473

e-mail: [email protected]

Mike

Sorry John. I just went to the page myself and found he has rooster Silver Badger but no hen. Call him and ask anyway. He may find something or know of a source.

Mike

One more time...

I just talked to Denny in a chat room. He has 2 silver badger hen capes he just cleaned.

Mike

I'll be calling Whiting Farms tomorrow, do you want me to pick you up one with my order???

Joe Fox

Thanks, Joe, but as I said in my original post, the folks at Marriott's said Whiting no longer produces silver badger hen capes. The best they were able to do for me was a natural Brahma.

John

Try Conranch Hackle out of Washington. Call him and tell him what you want or just e-mail him or his partner/daughter, Liz.

phone number: 509-999-7473

e-mail: [email protected]

I just talked to Denny in a chat room. He has 2 silver badger hen capes he just cleaned.

Mike

Thanks for the tip, Mike! I appreciate it.

John

I called Whiting Farms today and asked what was up with the droping of the Silver Badger from the Whiting line. They told me they never dropped it. I ordered me self a couple just in case I will let you know what they look like when I get them.

Joe

I called Whiting Farms today and asked what was up with the droping of the Silver Badger from the Whiting line. They told me they never dropped it.

Joe

It appears, then, that the folks at Marriott's "fed me a line." I won't get mad. But I will remember.

John

Hi

I keep a few bantams for there feathers and keep the silver sussex for the badger capes. You have a genetic problem, that I don't think you understand. The easiest way to explain it is in grizzle birds. The barring is controlled by the female, who ends up with a double dose of the gene. End result is her grizzle is 2 parts black (from her double gene) , 1 part white. A rooster only gets one gene and ends up 1part black (single gene), to one part white.

The hen always gives a dark gene,if the rooster passes on his dark gene, it will be a hen, if he throws his gene free, it will be a rooster. Handy for sexing bids at an early age though.

The same is true for the badger capes too, the hen gets a double portion of the gene, making the black portion of the feather twice as large. There is some variation, as the body still has to interpret the genetics, but hens will always have a higher portion of the dark.

Best regards

Norman