Fly Tying
Alex C.

How long does it take you to tie a fly?

How long does it take you, on avg., to tie a dry fly? What about nymphs, etc.?  

406 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

just like OSD said, I can tie a fly prety dam quick, other times I will take days. It all depends, I am not in a race so time is not a concerning factor for me. I hope it never is.

Depends on what I'm tying, a bugger can take a min or less and a big bass bug can take upto an hour.. depends on how picky you wanna be..

I am not in a race so time is not a concerning factor for me. I hope it never is.

I hope it never is for me either. The reason I asked is cause you always hear about people tying on stream, and I thought "man, if it takes me a half houtr to tie one on I won't be doing a whole lot of fishing." I figured once a person was well schooled on tyig they could probably whip one out pretty quick, but under 5 minutes bugeyes.gif that just blew my mind

It's tough to answer your poll because you've asked two questions and we can only give one answer.

Dry flies are my albatross. Once I get going I'd say it takes about 10 minutes per fly.

Some bass, panfish, pike, and saltwater flies I can tie in less than three minutes once I have my materials laid out and I'm ready.

Guess it's what your comfortable with. blink.gif biggrin.gif

Once you get the hang of it there is nothing to it. Look at the pattern you are tying. It has a few materials; hook, thread, wings, tail, body, hackle, head.

If you have all the materials prepared it doesnt take long. It is a matter of practice.It only takes a few seconds to do each step.

I have days that everything goes wrong and it could take hours.Dont let things bother you.

The more you tie the more things will make sense to you, once you master that pattern you shoud try the Wolly Bugger. It is a dynamic fish catching pattern. It is a little bigger and uses differnt materials, and tying techniques. After that try a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear and then a Muddler Minnow. Try to make yourself a dozen of each, keeping the first one of each pattern.(I stiil do this after many years of tying). After tying all of these patterns not only will you have a box full of flies that will catch fish. you will have used just about every type of tying technique. headbang.gif

Some atlantic salmon flies take me 3 or 4 hours, but I'm not in a hurry either. A basic dry fly, like an Adams, just a couple of minutes.

I can tie 17 size 16 parachute sulphurs a hour. But I've been tying for 15+ year now and I tie about every night. (hobby) Nymphes I can get about the same. Now when I tie a salmon fly with married wings it take anywhere for 2 or 3 hours per fly. As I can see from your times that you are already getting better. Just Practice. Now for tying on a stream. That doesn't impress me. Try it without a vise.

Most the flies I do I can tie in 5 minutes or less. I do have one fly that takes a good 15 to 20 minutes to tie and the last time I tied them it was by request. Practice, practice, practice and you'll get the time down real quick.

Jim

Basic dry flies and basic nymphs take just a few minutes, but tying a classic salmon flies (or freestyle full feather wings) can take up to 7-8 hours. All of my fishing flies can be tied in less than 10 minutes.