Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Friday's Float trip

On Friday my wife and I had a float trip with a guide in northern Wisconsin. Fishing was tough, but we managed to catch some fish. The fish we were catching were on the bottom. I told the guide that as of yesterday, I had not caught a bass on a popper this season. He said the rest of the float I had to fish a Boogle Bug. That is a fly we have had some spectacular days using.

I hit a fishy spot and noticed a bass looking up at the popper. The fish looked like a trout from Vince Marinaro's book, inspecting the popper at a 75 degree angle. It seemed like a nice 15-16 inch fish. It sipped the popper and I set the hook. It immediately jumped and it was bigger than I had thought. It ran to some sticks and logs and I was able to work it over and through the obstructions. It fought hard, we got a net on it, and released it after a quick picture.

This one we measured at 20", so I don't have to reconstruct a length with thumb widths. A beautiful fish and a terrific day. We never saw another fisherman all day.

post-35105-0-86985300-1564862749_thumb.jpg