Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
samsonboi

When fish key in to blood knots...

It recently hit me that there might be a reason for why fish hit blood knots so much: they look like drifting midge or caddis larvae! If youre fishing colored leader like Maxima, that is. So, I had the idea to tie a tiny midge/caddis on a 1/2-1 inch, 6 or 7X dropper thats tied into the knot. Size 12 or smaller is best, and tie it the same color as your leader. Plus, use the same color knotted leaders as the dominant midge type on your stream. Works great on my home streams.

Any input?

You say you tried it and it works? I can't say I've heard of the problem before but I don't tie leaders like that. It sounds like a great idea.

A long time ago fishing with tricos for brown trout. I would tie size 24 hooks with a tail and then use leader material for the body and wings. The eyes, legs, and fingers no longer allow trout fishing.

It recently hit me that there might be a reason for why fish hit blood knots so much: they look like drifting midge or caddis larvae! If youre fishing colored leader like Maxima, that is. So, I had the idea to tie a tiny midge/caddis on a 1/2-1 inch, 6 or 7X dropper thats tied into the knot. Size 12 or smaller is best, and tie it the same color as your leader. Plus, use the same color knotted leaders as the dominant midge type on your stream. Works great on my home streams.

Any input?

do you have data to corroberate your theory? underwater videos? just blood knots? other knots?

#20 thread midge works ok on those days- black/white, red/white etc. I've only had that happen in still water.

No other data besides the fact that it does catch fish. It'll work with any kind of knot that has the segmented effect of the parallel wraps of mono; blood knots are a common example that are a part of many leaders. Tom Conway taught me his mayfly nymph pattern using Maxima and it really works, and that and the fact that I have had fish sip my blood knots many times has convinced me that the blood knots must resemble some sort of trout food with that segmented shape. I'll post a pic sometime this weekend.

Exactly, that's the problem, so the small fly close below the knot will hook any fish that attempts to eat the knot. That is a good-looking pattern and would go well just below that blood knot.

A few times, decades ago, when I noticed fish hitting the blood knot, I would swap my fly for a bare hook, about a size 22, and simply tie a piece of tippet material to it with a couple of half half hitches and trim the tag ends short. I caught a few fish that way. No need to get fancy.

I have no doubt this will work. I've seen trout hit leader knots, split shot, strike indicators, etc. as well as a wide variety of items such as tree buds, small leaves, pieces of paper, cigarette butts....

At times we get so wrapped up in matching the hatch or figuring out the perfect fly for the day that we lose track of the fact that a hungry fish that is feeding actively strikes and spits out or sometimes swallows a wide range of items that are not "food". In your case the fish may be mistaking the knot for a midge or they may simply be striking something they think might be food.

Only thing I might caution guys who are thinking of giving this a try is to be aware of the regulations in your state/area in regard to the number of flies that can be fished at one time.

On a slight side note, when I was fishing Big jigs for bass, or plastic worms, the point where the line entered the water on calm days was constantly getting picked at by bluegills. Time to put down the bass rod, pick up the fly rod and have some fun with the 'gill on top. Though not as common on top as gills have had crappies prompt me to go to the fly rod that way also.

I like the idea of tying on size 24 hook and just leaving a sloppy end of mono sticking out. I have never been there and because of elevation will never make it but read a lot about San Juan and the tiny flies they use in the upper sections. 20"+ fish on hooks from 24-32. Amazing. I have several flies I've tied on 30s and 32s but never fished them. If I do it will be by tying a tippet on before I go and tying that to a tippet ring. No way I could thread it on the river.

Going back to edit I ran a swap awhile back on tailwater flies. One of the guys sent in a couple of furled tailed flies on probably a 22 hook and said that was one of his favorite tailwater flies when on midges. Looked much like the pictures Flytire posted.