Fly Tying
Patriot

Veevus 50 Denier - Amazing thread

I've hemmed and hawwed about trying this thread and am now sorry that I waited so long. (See Patriot banging his head on his bench.) This stuff is awesome.

When I first tried it I could not lock it on the hook with overwraps as I normally do. I soon realized that I was pulling on the thread tag as I usually do and that was causing it to unwind. I also realized that this thread is very slick which contributed to the just-mentioned issue as well. However, once I figured out how to use it, I was one happy camper. This thread is absolutley perfect for the #22-#24 size hooks that I tie.

One drawback is that will cut through material such as 'scud back' (stretchy elastic) if the wraps are too tight. Again, it's just a matter of making slight adjustments and you're good to go. And the fact that there is no perceptible thread build-up is just icing on the cake.

I will not toss out all of my other thread because I know I will use it on other flies, but for small flies, IMHO, this is the only thread to use.

My white veevus is lumescent under uv light. It's my only veevus to date, so I don't know if they all do that. I love tying with it, too, by the way. Has a nice, smooth feel to it coming off the bobbin and going on the hook, but holds everything great.

My white veevus is lumescent under uv light. It's my only veevus to date, so I don't know if they all do that. I love tying with it, too, by the way. Has a nice, smooth feel to it coming off the bobbin and going on the hook, but holds everything great.

Put a UV light on a freshly washed white shirt. It will fluoresce. Detergents contain optical brighteners that make whites "whiter" by fluorescing in sunlight which contains UV light. I think the white tying thread must contain the same sort of "brighteners". Have you tried UV light on your other threads? I've found that hot pink and hot orange threads used to make "hot spots" on nymphs tend to fluoresce as well.

Yes, I was testing all my threads and dubbings with the uv to try out some ideas when I noticed the Veevus is the only white thread I've got that does that in a "hot" color lumescent kind of way. My understanding, though, is that this is not the uv quality that the entomologist & optics types talk about when they talk shop on what light bugs give off and the uv only the trout and birds and bugs can see. Regardless, my hot orange thread soft hackle dusted over with non-hot orange dubbing caught a nice rainbow on a stream of 80% brownies...

Yes, I was testing all my threads and dubbings with the uv to try out some ideas when I noticed the Veevus is the only white thread I've got that does that in a "hot" color lumescent kind of way. My understanding, though, is that this is not the uv quality that the entomologist & optics types talk about when they talk shop on what light bugs give off and the uv only the trout and birds and bugs can see. Regardless, my hot orange thread soft hackle dusted over with non-hot orange dubbing caught a nice rainbow on a stream of 80% brownies...

You are correct. UV fluorescence and UV reflectance are sometimes confused but they are two completely different things. Humans cannot see UV light under 390 Nm. So fluorescence is the conversion of INVISIBLE UV into VISIBLE light. You are NOT seeing the actual UV light. Insects other than fireflies DO NOT give off light, they REFLECT light.

Here is a related post

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=70101

Fascinating stuff, thanks sc. Sorry to divert from the Veevus discussion, Patriot!

No problem whatsoever. I found this conversation quite interesting. SilverCreek is, IMO, a boatload of info. I learn something in nearly every post I read in this forum.

I will say that when you mentioned only using the white VGPS 50, I wished that I had purchased that flavor as well because I think it would have made great ribbing for my adult midges. I'll get some next time.

Best!

The Veevus 50D is great stuff that will take quite a bit of torque. Don't overlook the Veevus 16/0 for tiny stuff as it has all the strength that you will ever need for small tying. Comes in a bunch of colors and is twisted so you can un-twist to tie flat. Can also be split quite easily by just un-twisting. Only the 6/0 and 16/0 by Veevus has this ability.

The Veevus 50D is great stuff that will take quite a bit of torque. Don't overlook the Veevus 16/0 for tiny stuff as it has all the strength that you will ever need for small tying. Comes in a bunch of colors and is twisted so you can un-twist to tie flat. Can also be split quite easily by just un-twisting. Only the 6/0 and 16/0 by Veevus has this ability.

Thanks for that info. I will order some 16/0 and try it out.

The Veevus 30 denier GSP is my favorite. It completely disappears on the hook. I tie off my parachute flies on the post and you cannot even tell you did it. However, I have had problems with it being tangled about 1/2 to 3/4 way through the spool on several that I have purchased. Still, it is great.

Joe

The Veevus 30 denier GSP is my favorite. It completely disappears on the hook. I tie off my parachute flies on the post and you cannot even tell you did it. However, I have had problems with it being tangled about 1/2 to 3/4 way through the spool on several that I have purchased. Still, it is great.

Joe

Looks like the 30D only comes in one flavor - white. That's not really a problem. I'll give that a try as well. Thanks for the info.

I've messed with those threads and just don't like them. Too slick, get fuzzy when I bump hook points like I'm known to do. I am a Veesus fan but use 16/0 or 17/0 for tying down to 32. I also use some Spiderweb for the bitty flies but don't like it as well. Just use it because I've got a few spools and need to get them in the mix. I've joked (only joking) that you could spin hair with 16/0 Veesus. It is really strong compared to other threads and could use it on a lot more flies but on many the near total lack of build up is a curse, nor a blessing. i.e., don't try to build a tapered body on a 14 hook with 16/0.

I've messed with those threads and just don't like them. Too slick, get fuzzy when I bump hook points like I'm known to do. I am a Veesus fan but use 16/0 or 17/0 for tying down to 32. I also use some Spiderweb for the bitty flies but don't like it as well. Just use it because I've got a few spools and need to get them in the mix. I've joked (only joking) that you could spin hair with 16/0 Veesus. It is really strong compared to other threads and could use it on a lot more flies but on many the near total lack of build up is a curse, nor a blessing. i.e., don't try to build a tapered body on a 14 hook with 16/0.

I hear you on all you've noted about the Veevus threads. Of late I've been tying some flies using two bobbins loaded with Ultra Thread 70. But, just as with the Veevus stuff, it's not meant for building under-bodies, so I do this first with heavier thread and then switch back to UT 70 to finish up.

I hope the fish care.biggrin.png

Spin the bobbin clockwise when using UTC 70 and that will help with body building and counter clockwise to once again flatten it out.

Spin the bobbin clockwise when using UTC 70 and that will help with body building and counter clockwise to once again flatten it out.

I've read that at least 100 times, but forget to do that. I will try to remember that tip next time.

Thanks!