Fly Tying
Patriot

Source for Lagartun x-fine wire

I spent some time trying to locate a vendor who sells this wire. I would like to have this x-small wire in silver, gold, red, blue and green. I have found some silver and gold, but no colored wire.

If anyone has a source I would love to have a link to it.

Thanks!

Any particular reason for Lagartun vs Ultra Wire? Even if you could find it, Lagartun is 2x-3x the price of ultra wire.

I spent some time trying to locate a vendor who sells this wire. I would like to have this x-small wire in silver, gold, red, blue and green. I have found some silver and gold, but no colored wire.

Thanks!

From time to time, I see spools of Lagartun wire at Bob Marriotts here in Los Angeles. When I do, I usually snatch some up.The last time I got copper and green in fine and x-fine. I do not believe that they are making the blue wire any longer. You might want to contact them or get on their mailing list here:

http://www.lagartun.com

They are also on Facebook.

E6j7eQ0.jpg

PT/TB

dont be duped by pattern recipes that call for specific brands of materials

substitute ultra wire for the hard to find lagartun

google is your friend

hends wire

https://competitiveangler.com/products/hends

flytire, you da, man!!!

I had never come across the vendor you provided a link for. I loaded up on Hends spools of x-fine wire and body quill. That stuff looks awesome for my small midge patterns. I may even dedicate one of my midge patterns after you, but only if it catches a nice, fat 'bow. biggrin.png

We have a Sportsmans Warehouse here in town and I purchased several spools of Ultra Wire SM (the smallest wire they had), but it is too thick for my purposes.

post-61757-0-83844700-1507561568_thumb.jpg

The tarnished wire on the right spool (above) mic's out at 0.05mm-0.06mm. I think I read that Lagartun X-fine gold wire is in the 0.05mm range which is why I was trying to purchase it in the first place, but Henk's 0.09mm wire should work just as well. I hope anyway.

I sincerely appreciate the info. What a great way to start the week. Thanks!!

Any particular reason for Lagartun vs Ultra Wire? Even if you could find it, Lagartun is 2x-3x the price of ultra wire.

None other than I was trying to find wire to replace the 0.05mm (tarnished) wire I have been using. I have read that Lagartun x-fine wire is in that same thickness range. I have purchase UW SM wire and it is nearly twice that thick. (See image in my response to flytire below)

Thanks!

Thanks!

From time to time, I see spools of Lagartun wire at Bob Marriotts here in Los Angeles. When I do, I usually snatch some up.The last time I got copper and green in fine and x-fine. I do not believe that they are making the blue wire any longer. You might want to contact them or get on their mailing list here:

http://www.lagartun.com

They are also on Facebook.

Thanks for the Lagartun link.

I have added my name to their mailing list. It appears that their website is down for repair.

competetive angler is very good for customer service and prompt delivery

its also a great site for european fly tying items

i added my name to the lagartan mailing list last year and i'm still waiting for something from them. waste of time

competetive angler is very good for customer service and prompt delivery

its also a great site for european fly tying items

Amen! I do a lot of searching for fly tying goodies and have never ever come across them. I have them locked in tight now.

Thanks for your help.

The owner of of Lagartun died a couple of years ago and the company

stopped producing product. His wife has taken over and is getting back

to producing materials again.

Kimo

Patriot, since you're getting into the tying and this forum so actively how about getting over the the Fly Swaps forum and jump into the Christmas Swap with us. Categories are listed and we'd love to have faces (tiers) in there.

I have about a dozen spools of Ultra Wire, which I almost never use. The only wire I use is copper and silver. My copper is #38 NHC Nyclad, from Beldon. I have been using the same 1 pound spool for about 35 years. All my silver wire is salvaged from old computer hard drive ribbon cables. It too is about the same size. When I want a thicker rib, I simply double it up and twist.

Patriot, since you're getting into the tying and this forum so actively how about getting over the the Fly Swaps forum and jump into the Christmas Swap with us. Categories are listed and we'd love to have faces (tiers) in there.

I'll take a look. Thanks for the invite.