Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

magic tool

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:28 PM

Hi guys have any of you tried the magic tool ,and how do you like it for dubbin, Iguess that you can dud feathers, etc, etc dunno.gif blink.gif TL Mike
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I said "boo" to Gregor Clegane. He ran and hid !

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,689 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:49 PM

Hey Mike theres been a few topics about the magic tool in the past, try entering "magic tool" in a search of the tying bench and you should find some info on it.

Heres a link to a featured fly from the site awhile back that is a nymph that uses the magic tool in the step by steps.

http://www.flytyingf...wtopic=5167&hl=

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 atroutbum2

atroutbum2

Swapaholic wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:05 AM

Ive had my magic tool for about 8 mo now. I like it. I use it a lot of ways. It makes it so much easier for a lot of the dubbing loop things that i do. I thing the best part is that it is see thru, so you can allign the fibers to make some awsome flies. I have herd that there is a video showing how to use it but i didnt buy it and have never seen it. About a year or so ago, in one of the flyfishing mags(i dont know which one or which issue, i have since chucked it) there was an article describing it and showed how to use it. Pettijean(the maker of the tool<prob a wrong spelling) does have a website.This isnt the petijean site, but it the only one aol can find.
http://store.beekfli.../magictool.html
It even tells you what issue of the mag it was.
I say try the tool, i think you will like it.

If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is there to hear it. Is he still wrong?

Stupid should hurt.

#4 atroutbum2

atroutbum2

Swapaholic wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:18 AM

heres the petitjean site.
http://petitjean.com/
If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is there to hear it. Is he still wrong?

Stupid should hurt.

#5 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:41 PM

Hey Mike,

I've had the tool for about 8 months as well and love it. The list of uses goes on and on however my favorite is the ability to use chickabou for bodies through a dubbing loop. Here is a step-by-step example of this technique in action.

http://onlineflytyer...e_mpdragon1.asp

user posted image

The action is amazing underwater!

Have some fun with it, take a look at other patterns created with the tool and never stop experimenting. You'll get the hang of it in no time at all!

Cheers,

Nick

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#6 tightlines

tightlines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:27 PM

I originally looked at the magic tool for using cdc for body, but just a general dubbing loop and a hook worked fine. Not sure if there are any other benifits to the magic tool that would benifit me, but until otherwise I wont shell out the 35CDN.

#7 jonnyrotten

jonnyrotten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 04:18 PM

Mike
I received a magic tool about 6 months ago. It is awsome! There are endless things to do with this tool. I use the wood dowels and wrap pearl flash around them cut and add it to any color dubbing for my wooly buggers. It adds a bit of flash. I would recomend this tool to anyone that has problems with a dubbing loop (i did). Just couldn't get it to look right. I will try to get a pic of one of my flies soon.
My wife said she was goin' to leave if I didn't stop tyin' flies on the coffee table........MAN!!! I'm gonna miss her.

#8 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:57 AM

Thanks for the imformation guys, Super cool tool, good web sites TL Mike ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)