Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Abel Aluminum Vise

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:56 PM

This is my first rotary vise and I've been tying for only a year so my opinions come with a large grain of salt. I do however like nicely engineered stuff and the Abel is one of them. You can immediately tell an engineer designed it: form follows function.

Everything is well finished and fitted. The rotary action is smooth, no wiggle or loose spots and has a good tension adjustment. The jaws are stainless steel as is the shaft. Everything else is aircraft aluminum. I got the black but it comes in other colors and can be artistically anodized.

It didn't take too long to get used to the jaw style nor aligning the hooks for rotary action. Overall access is great and it 'feels right'. The horizontal arm is great to steady your hand and the jaw position doesn't get in the way.

Although not really a problem for me, the main jaw tightening screw head could be a bit larger for ease in torquing. The vise is a traveller so the base is made of aluminum. Since I had my old vise on a clamp, I had to be careful initially to adjust.

The only complaint that I have is that I tried to sneak it into the house but I got busted right away by my wife. I didn't tell her the price ($600CDN) but she could tell it wasn't cheap. It's gonna cost me more: lampwork bead class and ceramic backtiles in the kitchen blink.gif

Attached Files

#2 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:00 PM

Dam 600 CDN
That vise should tie the flies for you for that price ohmy.gif

OSD.
user posted image

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I said "boo" to Gregor Clegane. He ran and hid !

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:56 PM

Thats only $19.95 American Bob laugh.gif tongue.gif

Just messing with ya franky, thats a great looking piece of equipment, Abel's reputation is VERY good so that vise should be well worth your investment.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#4 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:28 PM

Nice vise! I really like the adjustments for tweaking the head position, far better than the three screw holes on my Renz.

#5 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:19 PM

You're the first person I've run into who's got the nads to bring one of those home. I salute you sir! cool.gif
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#6 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:37 PM

Iam with troutbum on the (nads), YOU DA MAN. Great looking vice . I have not seen any one that sells them here in northern ontario >>TL Mike
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 10:12 PM

He'd better burn the receipt though cus if she ever finds it he might lose his nads wink.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#8 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:38 AM

My nads are reasonably safe but that's only because they've burrowed up into my abdomen. Just remembered last night that my wife gave me my old vise as a present for Valentines! bugeyes.gif help.gif

#9 MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

When this baby hits 88mph...your gonna see some serious sh*t!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:03 AM

oh god, run and hide! plan a b&b trip for some weekend outta the blue, that'll smooth it over.

steve
He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.

#10 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 01:05 PM

Well if franky disappears from the site at least we all know why wink.gif

I think steves idea is pretty good, a surprise weekend away might be in order before she remembers she got the old one for you unsure.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#11 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:26 AM

I had an Abel rod and reel combo and did not like it. I find that most of the things made by Abel are well over priced. I have never used any other thing by them and am iterested in your comments on the vice. Im sure it is one fine peice of craftmanship. You might consider a week with your lady!
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain