Fly Tying
Bimini15

What is in this body?

I received this fly as part of my box in the Christmas swap.

If you tied it, manifest yourself and tell us how you made that body.

If not, what do you guys think? Straight cactus chenille or some filler underneath?

post-52874-0-83216400-1514775792_thumb.jpeg

I didn't tie it, but looks like cactus chenille or Estaz or something similar. Maybe over an under body, then trimmed to shape. It could be Estaz Grande, which has enough bulk to it to make a body like that depending on the hook size, then trimmed.

Cute little feller, was it tied for saltwater or bass?

I would say bass because it has freshwater hook. But would it work either way in the right colors.

My guess is that there is an underbody. The hook shank does not seem to come right through the center of the body, so I don’t think it is just wraps of cactus chenille.

I would say bass because it has freshwater hook. But would it work either way in the right colors.

My guess is that there is an underbody. The hook shank does not seem to come right through the center of the body, so I don’t think it is just wraps of cactus chenille.

Well, you pretty much get an underbody for free by simply letting the marabou extend to the eye of the hook, especially if you then double it back.

I agree with the others, though: trimmed Estaz.

According to Feather Craft it's "Estaz-Metallique Long Fiber Crystal Chenille" I use it for the body of some of my pike flies and Calcasieu Pig Boats.