Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

The Nail Soup Swap

SWAP IS FULL!

When I was just a kid in grade school, we read a story called "Nail Soup", which for some reason has stuck in my mind to this day. I was thinking about it tonight, and decided to see if I could locate it on the internet. I Googled it and got lots of hits. Apparently it's an old Swedish folk tale that teaches us that, even when we feel like we have too little, with a little creativity and a willingness to see the potential in such meager things as we do have, we can make something quite useful and good. Here's a link to the story if you're interested in reading it:

http://www.berattarverkstan.se/net/soup.htm

I always liked the moral of that story, and it occurred to me that I could maybe base a fly swap on it, so here goes: Most of us have a pattern that, at one time or another, for whatever reason, we threw together out of "odds and ends" on the tying bench. Maybe you were out of the material you really wanted/needed, maybe you were trying to improve on an existing pattern, or trying to invent something new for your particular fishery. Maybe you were just bored and started lashing random stuff to a hook to see what would happen. Whatever the case, you fished this thing you'd made and, hey presto, it worked! Maybe you tweaked it and improved it, or maybe you've been fishing it ever since just as it came of the vise that charmed day. Either way, we want to see it!

The only rule here is no established patterns--no Woolly Buggers, no Adamses, no Royal Wulffs, and no (insert established pattern here) with one material changed, or a different color, etc. You know what I'm saying. What we want is that weirdo, random conglomeration of fly schmutz that you concocted that one time, and that you've since kept making because it actually worked.

Standard swap rules -- toe tags, crush proof container, self-addressed return envelope with return postage attached. I'd like at least 10 for this swap, but we can roll with more or fewer depending on how many want to play. Give me an "I'm in" with your pattern (or TBA if you're not sure yet), and we'll get it going, and let's say October 31 for the due date. That's a month and a half to get them here, and easy to remember! smile.png

1. Bryon Anderson (SM) - Bubblehead Charm
2. vicrider - Four-Trigger Fly RECEIVED
3. fishingbobnelson - Wild Turkey Tail Caddis RECEIVED
4.RickZieger - RECEIVED
5.netabrookie - TBA
6. Vicente - Fuggler Minnow RECEIVED

I will most likely join want to get my scuds finished up before I make another swap commitment.

Cool -- I'll look forward to adding you to the list! :)

Well it's been 6 days since I announced this swap -- I was hoping for 10 or so, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen this time. I think I'll leave it up through this Sunday, and go with whatever number we have Sunday night when I go to bed. Vicente, will that give you enough time to decide if you want to join us?

I'm good with 6 and we still tie 12, and everybody gets two flies from each of us. In case we lose one on a tree fish, we have a backup!

I like this idea a lot, Bob!

I've got my dozen done and would be willing to throw a few more in if someone else begs their way in. Two per each is always a good idea just in case it's the hot fly and losing it without a backup crushes you.