Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salmobytes

Ragged Hackle Wetfly

This is 2 or 3 Ice Dub colors mixed together with yarn cards and then twisted up loosely in a dubbing loop. If you twist it up tightly it ends up matted together like a fuzzy cylinder of body material. If you twist it up loosely so it still looks like a hackle--and use it as it the fibers don't stay put.

But if you wet the two thread legs of the dubbing loop with fabric cement prior to loading it with fuzz, and if you put a bit more fabric cement on the shank, and then wind it up......it stays together.

Ragged Hackle Wetfly

up-2018-10-09-14.59.45_DMap_Ragged-purpl

Good tip with the fabric cement. I tried something similar with antron fibers last year (to try and capture air bubbles on a rising bwo nymph pattern), but they slipped out after a few casts and I was left with floss on a hook.

I like the UV resin idea. I'll try it. But I do wonder. The UV resins I have all cure to rock hard. Aleene's Flexible Stretchable (that's a brand not a description) holds tenaciously. But it cures to something vaguely like a gooey soft rubber band. Which I like a lot.

RE> try the UV glue. Not yet. I will try it. Good idea. Someone gave me an idea for two goose biots knotted together to form the outline of a triangular minnow tail. A fly tier named Something Tran. Got to work with that now.

Mold a transparent web between the goose biots with Aleene's Flexible Stretchable fabric cement, attach it to a synthetic string of some kind, and you might have a hand made Mr Twister Tail.

I gotta do that one next. Work on it anyway.