Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Out with the old, in with the new. My new fly tying bench

I went to a fund raising auction for the outdoor sports this week end and bid on a roll top desk. I got it for $350.00.

This old desk is what I used to use. And the tool board is kind of my "white trash" answer to the fly tying station.

DSCF2709-XL.jpg

Here's my new desk. Now I need to build a new tool rack, can't put that ugly old thing on this desk, just wouldn't be right.

DSCF2710-XL.jpg

This is my private man area, it's likely to never be this neat again. The left side is my engraving area, (for knives I build).

DSCF2712-XL.jpg

Here's my feather and fur cabinet. I try to keep everything I may need in there. It gets cold up here sometimes and I don't want to have to run out and get something if I should run out.

DSCF2713-XL.jpg

I'll show you what my new tool rack looks like when I get it done. Thanks for looking, let me know what you think.

Great price for a roll top! I have a weakness for the classics-

Well this one is solid wood except for the plywood drawer bottoms. I saw one like it on eBay for $1,500.00. When I saw no one bidding on it I jumped in, i'm really glad I got it.

Looking good, so far. I hope you don't stray too far from that angled tool board. I love that idea.

I like it too, I'm going to try and make one work for my new desk. Thanks

That's really nice. I would go to home depot or lowes and get a piece of plexy glass and cut it to fit inside. Or even a small piece to cut or glue on to protect the top.

That's really nice. I would go to home depot or lowes and get a piece of plexy glass and cut it to fit inside. Or even a small piece to cut or glue on to protect the top.

That's a great idea, I'v been thinking of something to put on the top to protect it. I won't glue it in though, so I can change it out when it gets scabby. I can be sloppy with the head cement and CA glue at times.

Thanks for the great idea.

Wow, Mark!

That new bench is really nice but I like the triangle shaped tool holder as well. It's too bad you can't refinish it then set it on the top left of the bench at the corner of the room. Just a thought. Take care & ...

Maybe lie your board flat in a top drawer and build in hinges so you can prop it up when the drawer is opened, and lie it back down when the drawer gets shut.

Put that existing board on a rolling stand so it can sit beside you while working. Then it can be rolled back to the side of the roll-top.

I like the board as well. The angle is very extreme though. I would reduce the angle of the board by at least half and angle the holes some. At least I think that would work.

Put that existing board on a rolling stand so it can sit beside you while working. Then it can be rolled back to the side of the roll-top.

Maybe lie your board flat in a top drawer and build in hinges so you can prop it up when the drawer is opened, and lie it back down when the drawer gets shut.

Both good ideas. Thanks. I have some oak to match my new desk, and the first one wasn't exactly like I wanted so I'm going to do a new one maybe using some of these ideas.

Nice roll top. I also use a roll top. Lots of storage in some.

I see some larger openings on the upper right. I would look at building drawers that would fit those openings. You could put a lot of what you have on the large stand in a couple of drawers.

I put what ever I can in drawers so it won't get dusty over time.

Nothing wrong with white trash. My wife married some. I have a roll top. The best thing about it is that nothing can roll off the sides and back.