Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Eyes and Heads Part II

Painting and coating. This is elementary stuff.

Dipping modified or bulbous eyes or heads in: Nail Polish; urethane floor finish; epoxy; Aqua-Seal; Softex; acrylic craft paint and that flexible colored stuff that's sold at shops, and the like, to enlarge them - kinda like dipping a candle in hot wax to build the body. Some of the very best eye paint is nail polish. Also, do not forget the really COOL colors made for painting all those plastic auto, aircraft and ship models we'd love to have time to make or never really finished.

Painting weighted eyes:

Several methods; putting eyes between teeth of combs to dip in paint. Using mono stalks or toothpicks to place paint drops. Cheating - using that flex stuff mentioned above to create a 3-D effect at the same time you're coloring the weighted eye.

Brain cramp just struck - more later! ohmy.gif

Lets see if I can unstick Daves brain cramp.

For painting eyes I like Testors model paint covered (when completely dry) by epoxy. To put the drops on I use either the butt end of a drill bit or a piece of dowel sharpened in a pencil sharpener to the diameter of the eye I want. You can sharpen the dowel to have the whites on one end with the pupil on the other.

Gee, John, Thanks for adding those other helpful hints -

This, from the guy who gave up Metallic Embroidery Floss after I told him NOT TO!!!!!!! blink.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif

Sign in to follow this