Fly Tying
DarrellP

Thanks to swap meisters

I just wanted to express my appreciation to those of you who take the time to host swaps. They are a lot of fun to participate in. I appreciate your time and work.

Well gosh, you're making some of us blush. Thanks for that though. Those of us who do it quite a bit enjoy it, put up with aggravation at times, but get to see a lot of nice ties from people like yourself, some we'd never have thought of otherwise. It does seem like a no brainer to just throw the flies into the boxes and put back into the envelopes and sent back out but unfortunately though everyone has good intentions I'm sure there are always envelopes forgotten, return postage forgotten, poor return boxes for the type and size of flies, late arrivals, and other things we work around to see everyone gets their flies in timely manner and for those lucky enough to get to fish them hope they enjoy them as much as we did sorting them and handling the swap.

DarrellIP, I have been hosting since 2009, so nearly 10 years, I have rarely had a issue with anyone joining a swap, but things do happen and life sometimes intervenes, but I really enjoy hosting. I also enjoy tying for other swaps. There used to be a lot more swaps on this site, but that has dropped off lately. Partly because I don't see new guys stepping up and hosting.

Darrell, I know you have participated in enough swaps to qualify to host, so why not take the leap? I promise to sign up if you do.

Partly because I don't see new guys stepping up and hosting.

As a new guy just in the middle of my first swap, can you take a minute and explain exactly what is involved in hosting and being a swapmeister?

Some of us newer guys are unclear on those details, even after reading the sticky at the top. Thanks in advance.

It's not to bad most of the time Pyme, basically coming up with an idea for the swap, posting it up I like to kind of keep an eye out for swappers who tend not to complete properly and try to make sure they are refreshed on the rules. Once the flys start coming in just keep them all safe and not misplaced until the time comes to sort them all and send them back. You tend to end up payinga few extra dollars getting stuff back not always but more often than not.

I think the two things that are most annoying are when people don't send an addressed envelope I don't mind if it's stamped as long as the money is there to cover it and your address is on it, and when people don't have both their regular mail to name and forum handle on the box as it can make sorting and trying to keep which box goes back to who a pain.

Pyme, if everyone reads and follows the rules life as a Swapmeister would be an always pleasant task. Unfortunately, for various reasons, it is not always so. Flytier had about the best description of how to send in your flies but to do the swap is a little different.

1. You wait patiently for the packages to come in, usually meaning a few late arrivals for HONEST reasons that are not a big problem.

2. Then comes the fun. You open each package hoping the basic rules were followed by most people.

3. You lay out all the containers and the flies on a big table and start sorting them, one to a return box.

4. After sorting them all you doublecheck and try to figure how come you have 13 in one box and 11 in another.

5. When everything is squared away you put each box in correct (hopefully) return envelope. Take them to the PO and send them off, usually having to do postage on one or two that sent money instead of a stamped return envelope. After than you take a smiling look at your flies and the few bonuses some always send to you for your work. Then you go fish them if you have a chance.

I am currently hosting my 4th or 5th (...I think? at least that many...) swap on this site, and I have to say I've always enjoyed the experience. There are the occasional hiccups as noted by others above, but they are just that: minor things. It's fun coming up with ideas for swaps and seeing everyone's interpretation of a given theme. I'll also admit this -- ever since I was a little kid, I've loved getting packages in the mail, so swaps are great for that! :) So, for my part, you're most welcome, and I'd like to send out a "thank you" to everyone who has participated in the swaps I've hosted here. You guys are the best!

... and when people don't have both their regular mail to name and forum handle on the box as it can make sorting and trying to keep which box goes back to who a pain.

Well, I'm participating in my first swap, with you no less, and I see I've already screwed up. :-O

Please don't be too mad at me! ;-)

(Seriously, I did miss that detail when I sent mine in, and apologize)

Are swapmeisters usually in the mix of tyers, and share in the bounty of flies?

Or do they merely act as a middleman, sorting and redistributing the flies, and maybe just scoring a few extras that somebody threw in for their troubles?

We lead swaps to be in the swap ourselves. When you do a swap you normally do it for 12 people on average swap. You do not include yourself in that 12 but you do your 12 flies for the swap. Since nobody gets back one of their own in a normal swap it works out so everyone gets a dozen flies, one from each tier and one from SM. SM also gets a dozen and everyone also gets one of his in the twelve sent back.

I should also mention the 12 swappers is an arbitrary number that seems to work well. I was in a swap with 17 once and found I got tired of tying same fly that many times. We have also run swaps for large items, like articulated streamers or hair bugs where we limited it to 6 swappers. Sometimes we don't fill a swap and all will do two flies to make the number worth the costs of mailing both directions.

DarrellIP, I have been hosting since 2009, so nearly 10 years, I have rarely had a issue with anyone joining a swap, but things do happen and life sometimes intervenes, but I really enjoy hosting. I also enjoy tying for other swaps. There used to be a lot more swaps on this site, but that has dropped off lately. Partly because I don't see new guys stepping up and hosting.

Darrell, I know you have participated in enough swaps to qualify to host, so why not take the leap? I promise to sign up if you do.

You are very kind to suggest I host a swap. I really appreciate this. I will try hosting one- in a couple months. I have a vacation with the family next week and two big work projects I am overseeing. Etc.

We lead swaps to be in the swap ourselves. When you do a swap you normally do it for 12 people on average swap. You do not include yourself in that 12 but you do your 12 flies for the swap. Since nobody gets back one of their own in a normal swap it works out so everyone gets a dozen flies, one from each tier and one from SM. SM also gets a dozen and everyone also gets one of his in the twelve sent back.

Thanks for the info, now it's starting to make sense. I think it was the "uncounted" swapmeister that had me unclear. I was able to do the math with the dozen tyers, and not getting one of our own back, so I just assumed the swapmeister got a dozen for his troubles. I didn't know they also tied, so a "12 man" swap was actually "13 tyers". It makes a lot more sense now.

I’d like to thank all swapmeister for keeping me busy at the vice, I have trouble sometimes coming up with new ideas, I just draw a blank sometimes. Thanks to you guys the creativity keeps coming! Keep us busy guys, we need it now more than ever!

I'm new to this site having been a Senior Member of the Fly Anglers On-line site.  Over those years I participated in 6 swaps and hosted 4 or 5 others.  It's a great experience in either situation again as long as everyone follows the schedule and guidelines.  First off swaps, at least for me, are to be fun!  I even like to give them fun names - The ROYGBV Swap- 6 month swap with a different color of the rainbow each month, The Pheasant Swap - flies using the body/wing/neck feathers of the male Ringneck Pheasant, The Wee Irish Dance Swap -micro jigs of course!  After a while you can see each tiers style and you get a variety of flies/designs.  And like I said you get to have fun tying with others.