Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

need help identifying streamer materials

streamer materials tube fly fly brass streamers tying

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Northern Edge

Northern Edge

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

Hey Everyone, 
Just signed up, what great site! I've been on here a bit for research in my fly tying endeavours. 

I would consider myself a novice fly tyer at best. Just getting away from the basic patterns and getting into tying streamers. I have a few questions on these patterns I came across. I love these flies but am having trouble figuring out the material used on these 2 patterns. I think the materials are mostly synthetics but I am not too familiar on what they are.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Kyle

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1958.JPG
  • IMG_1957.JPG
  • IMG_8061.JPG

#2 Tom Cummings

Tom Cummings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

Just a thought but goto Orvis web site and look at materials. The body looks like pearlesant braid or tube while the other parts is just color variants of synthetic streamer body material and Crystal flash with live eyes most likely uv glue on head and eyes. Streamers are easy and basic in that pattern.

#3 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,726 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:55 PM

Welcome to the site.  Can't help you on the materials ... it'd be only guesses from me.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 Northern Edge

Northern Edge

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:33 AM

Awesome thanks Tom.  Its been tough trying to figure the materials out online. The pictures are usually of very poor quality. 

#5 Tom Cummings

Tom Cummings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

My pleasure. Enjoy the forum. Lots of knowledge flows here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: streamer, materials, tube fly, fly, brass, streamers, tying