Fly Tying
Liam

How Much Does A 7/32 (5.5mm) tungsten bead weigh?

Hi folks.

I want to order some heavy tungsten beads but all that is ever provided in the size and not the weight.

Can anyone please tell me how much a 7/32 (5.5mm) faceted bead would weigh?

Is there a spot where the weights are listed.

Thank you!

Exactly 50% more then a 7/32 (5.5mm) brass bead... :D

:j_k: Anyone have a reloading scale ?

Josh

yeah I do.

- I'm not sure I have any 7/32 tungsten beads though... I have some 1/8 Tungsten. I'll see if I can weigh one but it will be in grains. Then gotta do some 5th grade math to convert it to ounces. Is that what you want, fractional ounces?

wait, no, just checked, I don't have anything close to 7/32 tungsten beads. The largest I have is 5/32. With the difference in possible hole size and counterbore or slot, any kind of extrapolation would be worthless.

Liam, I've got to ask, is this just for curiosity, or some other reason?

Not idle curiosity.

I tying some very large flies for muskies and northern pike and wanted a head that weighed around 1/16th of an ounce.

1.5341 grams = 0.054113785 ounces, or a little less than 1/18 of an ounce--pretty close to the 1/16 ounce

Now, what weight line will be required to cast that 1/18th of an ounce?

1.5341 grams = 0.054113785 ounces, or a little less than 1/18 of an ounce--pretty close to the 1/16 ounce

Now, what weight line will be required to cast that 1/18th of an ounce?

anything from a 1wt to a 15wt. Depends on how pretty you want the cast to be and how the fly is constructed. There are too many other variables than just static mass. Sorry if the table below doesn't match up.

Number Designation Standard Weight Margin For Error

1-Weight 60 54-66

2-Weight 80 74-86

3-Weight 100 94-106

4-Weight 120 114-126

5-Weight 140 134-146

6-Weight 160 152-168

7-Weight 185 177-193

8-Weight 210 202-218

9-Weight 240 230-250

10-Weight 280 270-290

11-Weight 330 318-342

12-Weight 380 368-392

13-Weight 450

14-Weight 500

15-Weight 550

So the standard weight designation of the line is usually measured in GRAINS for the first 30 feet of the line. There are 7000 grains in a pound. One GRAM equals about 15.432 GRAINS. If his bead is measured in GRAINS it is only about 23.7 grains. That's less than half the static mass of 30 feet of a 1wt. So, in theory, the kinetic energy of a fast moving 1wt line should be plenty to cast the heavy bead!! Add that pesky air resistance though, and everything changes. Air resistance (drag) on the line as well as the fly containing the bead screws everything up. Another major factor is going to be line speed (kinetic energy) the rod and caster are able or willing to add to the equation. There is just no real-world way to calculate what weight line is needed to cast what weight fly. TOO many variables, and the variables are constantly changing. The only safe bet is to say big, bulky, heavy flies cast nicer on heavier rods/lines. And then, each individual has their own opinion of what is big, bulky, or heavy, and what is a nice cast!!! :wallbash: :sleep1:

of course, I could be wrong.

JS – You went to a lot of trouble to say, "I don't know." ;)

Good answer. Much appreciated and far better than being roundly ignored.

Is that a sauger?

Yes, sir. Isn't that neat? My first one (on a home tied jig, but not on fly gear . . . yet) and out of the Arkansas River in Tulsa. I'd never even seen one in person until last month (February 2008.)