Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dthree

Tying foam?

I want to start tying some foam flies for bass and panfish but would like to save myself the headache of making a mess right out the gate.

What size/type of thread would you recommend using with 2mm foam? What threads would you avoid to keep from cutting the foam when tying?

What glues are you all using? Has anyone had problems with glue melting or not bonding the foam?

Thanks

I can tell you what I use. Its NOT a traditional tying thread, but a wide multi filament sewing thread made by Gutermann called Wooly Nylon. Its a "serger" thread, and works well since it will lay flat over the foam. I have no cutting issues with it when tying foam. I get mine at Joann Fabrics, but it only comes on 1000 yard spools. You will have to re-spool it onto standard size spools. Normal cost is 6.99 but with a coupon, you can get it for under 4.00. I also use this thread on all my larger patterns for both fresh and Salt water. I usually just use white, and color it to match the pattern with markers.

There are other "tying" threads like Big Fly thread or flat waxed nylon that will work as well.

Most any kind of thread will work. I usually give it a bit if super glue anyway. I use regular ol super glue or gel in my thread wraps when I secure the foam to the hook. You can space your wraps to create body segments. Or just fold it forward, whip finish, and glue the tag end back for a popper. you can experiment with the amount of foam and hook size to make either a slow sinking bug or a floater. Just use your imagination.. and you'll be in you way to fooling many a bass and bluegill on foam.

post-59266-0-59143400-1469586903_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-25177300-1469586933_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-05026400-1469586976_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-52718800-1469587024_thumb.jpg

Depends on the size of fly you're tying. I tie for bluegills, etc., like Caloosa (nice bugs Cal)... and sometimes I use embroiderie floss. In contrasting color, it really looks cool.

Thanks. That's correct about size. On my regular go-to poppers the thread isn't visible. But on a spider or small hook I like danville 6/0 flat waxed, to keep from having too much bulk.

I can tell you what I use. Its NOT a traditional tying thread, but a wide multi filament sewing thread made by Gutermann called Wooly Nylon. Its a "serger" thread, and works well since it will lay flat over the foam. I have no cutting issues with it when tying foam. I get mine at Joann Fabrics, but it only comes on 1000 yard spools. You will have to re-spool it onto standard size spools. Normal cost is 6.99 but with a coupon, you can get it for under 4.00. I also use this thread on all my larger patterns for both fresh and Salt water. I usually just use white, and color it to match the pattern with markers.

Thanks for the post. I will order some Wooly Nylon today, with a name like that it must be great.

Regards,

FK

I'd just use what ever thread I had personally and I also like the sewing thread and the floss ideas posted above..

I'm going to be trying a first ever for me as well, some pan fish foam Hoppers I think ( I've never tied using foam before but have this small sheet of foam someone gave me a couple of decades ago or so that I only ever use to sometimes place materials on) . I'll just use what ever thread I have, I'm not ordering anything special for this. Ever hear of a blue hopper ? It's the only foam I have at the moment so that's what I'm using. I think Bluegill should like blue hoppers. I keep seeing that chartreuse Furry Foam hopper pattern come up at the top of the page here at the forums and it keeps drawing my eye. I have orange sewing thread, among other colors and of course my regular Uni threads and UTC etc. not to mention my wife has a whole wall dedicated to just sewing threads, about any color you can imagine. I have no silicone legs though, so will have to improvise there. I did have some white and some black spinner bait skirt material around here someplace but if not that then maybe a deer hair collar will go on this sucker. I think I'm using Yellow Mallard flank for a wing and brown hackle. We shall see, this should be interesting. I had a chartreuse marker but I'm only finding my black one at the moment.

Hey bluegill like colors, I figure it doesn't have to be natural coloring ! This blue is like damsel fly blue anyway, Oooohhh, another thought.

Dave- Uncord the thread and take a few soft first wraps. After you get a few wraps down as sort of a cushion, you can use tighter wraps without cutting through the foam.

Dave- Uncord the thread and take a few soft first wraps. After you get a few wraps down as sort of a cushion, you can use tighter wraps without cutting through the foam.

Good info, thanks will do !

edit: I figure it's to be right of passage to wreck a piece of foam or two. I've been tying on size 12 hooks so I might just as well start right there

If you're interested ... Michael's has large sheets of 2mm foam for 99 cents each.

Thanks Mike, the next time I go buy one I'll pick some up. The thing is they are 13 miles away for the lesser stocked store and 22 for the more heavily stocked one. For today I'll mess around with this blue stuff I have and see what comes of it. But thanks again !

You got a Walmart nearby? I got a big block of 2mm sheets.... I think 9 x 11 size, multiple colors, several sheets of each color, for less than $5. Don't know the current price. They even had two kinds of blocks... on was all pastel colors and the one I got were all vivid colors.

Yep. Wal-Mart, 33 cents each or a big pack of multiple colors for $4-5.