Fly Tying
smallieFanatic

Favorite Coldwater Species

Favorite Coldwater Species   

349 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd like to know just what is your very favortite. A warmwater version has been posted already, so I thought I would make a coldwater poll.

I voted for Brook Trout, but probably just because I got back from Brookie fishing. Cutthroat is an extremely close second.

Jan

What the ...? :ripped: Hey, Jan. It says I voted, but I didn't. Oh, well. This one's hard. For me it's a toss up between Rainbows and Browns. Rainbows are just about the most beautiful fish that swims, but the biggest trout I've ever caught have all been browns. Hhhmmmm? But then cutthroats and brookies are great, too. I guess I'll have to say Browns.

I voted brown trout. I'd say that about 7 of the top ten biggest trout I've caught were browns. A brown trout was also the first fish to take me into my backing, so it was an easy choice for me. Although, if there was a "whatever's on the other end of my line" choice it would have been a tough decision.

Cheers,

Mike

I voted Brooks cuz that and Rainbows are the only 2 coldwater species (other than "trash fish") that I have caught on a fly. When I win the lottery that will change...hehehe :P

I prefer browns cuz when they get large they get downright primal and homicidal to big streamers! I've been taken by surprise and darn near scared to death a number of time by large brown trout and the anger by which they attack fairly large streamers, I don't know if they are really pissed that the fly is in "their space"or are really hungry? Either way it's pretty darn vicious!

Gotta go with atlantic salmon on this one, feeling that tug on the line and seeing that silver flash when they leave the water gives me a rush like no other, time and time again.

well... my favorite would be a dolly varden although i've never fished for them but its like a bigger and more colorful brook trout and they are by far the most beautiful trout to me (although i've only seen them in books) but for ones i've fished for is browns

I picked Brook Trout, but I am a bit biased because I guide for them in Labrador. Netted a nice 7 lb male last week! (here's a pic)post-12607-1246844998_thumb.jpg

I put dolly vardon on there (Bull trout) in case you missed it

Actually Dolly Varden and Bull Trout are two separate species but often referred to as the same. Bull Trout Facts

I voted Rainbows...with the high desert subspecies we have here in Oregon in mind....

A perfect example of a Deschutes River Redside

post-13329-1246891357_thumb.jpg

Old hat I don't have enough time this summer for my trip to your neck of the woods. That is a Beautiful trout. I'll trade you some of my greenback cutts for some of those beautiful redsides.

C