Fly Tying

I haven't used them, whether they'll be good for you is to a certain extent going to be up to where you fish and how you prefer to cast, I don't have a switch rod so I'm not sure how much I would actually benefit from them if at all. I mostly use shooting head type lines for bass and my sinking lines.

I used the head version with mono running line and now use the commando smooth on my 9 foot 4 weight. I prefer the integrated smooth version, you get less distance, but it makes stripping streamers way better. I like the commando, but I have a lot of spey experience and knew their limitations going in. If you fish big streamers, especially in tight casting situations, they're awesome. They give me the ability to easily cast streamers most guys use a 7 weight to cast, but I can do it with my 4 weight, so fighting a medium sized trout is actually fun.

Commando heads I think actually work better on regular old single handed rods than switch rods. They give you the ability to put out full length casts with almost 0 back cast room. It's not something I want to use all the time but is good for those special spots you could never fish effectively before. And chances are nobody else is fishing them well either, you get flies to fish in pools or locations that maybe haven't been fished over and over again. You can literally go look for those spots to fish in that nobody seems to be able to fish well.

You need the head, the running line and the right tip for your setup, you're into a $100 move all said and done, maybe more if you want that on a spare spool you don't own etc. Better yet a spare reel , the running line likes an oversized large arbor spool. Smaller spools will work but in cold water or cool air you will get more coiling than with large arbor spools.

I think there are better options for skagit lines with two handed rods though. Just my opinion. I think I'd like to try a scandi line on my 5 wt switch rod.

I bought one for my 8' 4w, and I really like it. Took a little getting used to but it's a fun and easy way to fish heavier flies than a regular wf line would be able to throw. I have not waded or been in the kayak with it yet. Strictly bank fishing. Got my pb bass with that line and a fly from the secret Santa swap

post-44101-0-50782800-1554828072_thumb.jpg