Fly Tying
fly time

Staff

I went fishin the other day, and my waiders leak in my right legg. They rubbed a blister on my calf, and 4 days later it was enormous, I went to the ER yesterday, and the doc said I got staff infection, now this stuff hurts like hell, probbly the worst pain Ive experienced in years, now no fishin for 2 weeks, and no work for a few days!!

Dustin

Ouch! Staph infections aren't to be trifled with. When my spine surgeon detected a trace of staph in a nasal swab he took during my pre-op physical, I had to go on antibiotics for two weeks to keep the surgery site from becoming infected.

Hope the infection clears up soon. Trout fishing's gonna start getting good in about two weeks!

John

Could it be related to bacterial growth inside our waders? I imagine that happens after some use, but has anyone else had something like this happen? :)

That doesn't sound like fun, Dustin. Hang in there and get better soon bud.

Terry

Yeah thanks guys, the pain is brutal, the doc said that everyone carries it on their skin, its just a matter of it getting into a wound :wallbash:

Dustin

you probably shouldn't fish for the rest of the year...so I'll just PM you my address and you can send me all your fishin gear....uhm...keep your vise and continue to tie, but just send the completed flies to me :)

haha

Hope you get better soon!

bob

My fishing partner went fishing in the Susquehanna on a warm spring day wearing a pair of old canvas waders (this was 9 or 10 years ago, before we were fly-fishing fanatics). He parked in one place, walked the river for about 2 miles and when he made it back to the road he had to walk 2 miles to the car in his waders.

The waders were rough on the inside and some river water leaked in a little. He rubbed a nice sized blister on the back of his calf, which just took off a thin layer of skin. In a weeks time it covered his whole lower leg. When I saw it, I told him he looked like he had that "flesh eating disease” It was deep, nasty and gross.

Well his wife made him go to a doctor and it was the same thing, a staff infection (probably from the river water, but could be from dirty waders.) Took about 2 months to clear up.

We wet wade the same river in summer and never had the problem. Makes us think it may have been some type of bacteria in the waders.

Conehead

Thought I'd revive this thread to post about the latest report.

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/man-dies-from-bacterial-infection-from-vibrio-vulnificus-in-raw-oysters

Be careful out there !!!

Warm salt water can carry some nasty, deadly diseases.

So can fresh water ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/health/fl-brain-eating-amoeba-cure-20160819-story.html

6/3. M'sipi Gulf Coast

Guy on flyFF

Two weeks I decided to do a quick wade on the beach in the western part if Harrison county. I only carried a fly rod. I managed a couple of throwbacks, but it was slow. Some other anglers fishing nearby with DOAs under corks did about the same as me. At 8:30 I decided to call it a morning and made my way back to the truck, just like any other wading trip. Monday morning I wake up for work at 4:30 am and notice a small red spot about the size of a quarter on my right ankle. It looks like the skin may have been irritated by something. I get dressed and go to work. By lunch the red spot is 8 inches long and getting painful. I leave work at 11:00 and see a doctor at an urgicare center. The NP prescribes an antibiotic and tells me to get to an ER if anything changes. When I get home I feel so bad I go to bed at 3:00 pm and sleep until 7:30 a waking up only take scheduled doses of the antibiotics. Tuesday morning by red area has taken up my whole lower leg below the knee. My leg is very swollen and it is starting to blister and drain. My dad drives me to the ER in Biloxi. The er doc sticks his head in my exam room glances at my leg and says "your admitted and probably going to surgery in a few hours". They start IV antibiotics and put me in a room. A ct scan reveals no abscesses in the muscle tissue so surgery is put on the back burner. Blood, wound and urine cultures were taken and several different antibiotics were started. On Thursday I was transferred to Gulfport Hospital to start hyperbaric treatments. By Sunday the drugs and treatments appeared to be helping me turn the corner and I became hopeful that I would keep my leg. I was discharged on Friday evening after 11 days in the hospital, but still face a month of strong antibiotic pills and at least a month of wound care.

they never isolated the germ. I was treated for vibrio, staph and strep, but all the blood and other cultures were negative. The diagnosis was "flesh eating bacterial infection" but in medical terms. None of the medical staff at either hospital doctors or nurses that I talked to will not get in the water.

He's recovering.....

Another war story. Had a nose bleed in 2004 in Ft. Myers that wouldn't stop. Went to the ER where they first packed it, making it worse, then they inserted a balloon. After getting back to CO, was infected with a staph that started growing on my artificial heart valve that was put in my heart in 2000. Result was 10 days of powerful antibiotics injected every 4 hrs round the clock. Then another open heart surgery to take out the infected valve and put in another one, followed by another 5 weeks of the same antibiotics every 4 hrs round the clock. While in the hospital the antibiotics were so strong that they have to change the IV site every 3 to 4 injections. Nice thing about the antibiotics after surgery was that they put in a pic line and I had a computer controlled device I wore in a fanny back round the clock which automatically gave me my dosage every 4 hours. Had to change the med bag every other day, which sure beat the hospital injections. Staph infections are no fun and can be deadly.

I had a nice case of staph back in 2012.

Had a small piece of shrapnel removed from my upper right thigh.Wasnt anything serious and it took about 5 minutes to cut out.Couldnt tell you how many antibiotics I was on.Nothing seemed to help at first as i was still patrolling in 125 degree weather.Wasnt until infection set in that i was finally sent to an actual hospital in country.Honestly though...having a piece of metal in my leg didn't hurt nary as bad as the damn infection.