Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Arcadia, MI

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kschu

kschu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:58 AM

Greetings,

I will need to pick my son up from camp near Arcadia MI the weekend after Father's Day. Since I have to pick him up on Sat morning, I figure I need to drive out there early. It takes a few hours from the suburbs of Chicago. So I figure if I drive out after work on Thus, I can have the whole day Friday for fishing in the area. I've got a friend at work who tells me he has some suggestions, but he is not a fly fisherman. So I figured I could ask my fly fishing friends on FTF and hopefully get some suggestions for where to go with my fly rod.

I am primarily a Smallmouth fisherman. I am willing to fish for anything that swims. Smallies are simply the most fun I can have within an hour of home. I'm going Musky fishing tomorrow (a couple hours south). I've never tried that with a fly rod before. Hopefully the prediction of 20-30 MPH winds will be a gross over estimate. A guy from the local fly shop said he and I could try Pike this spring (another fly rod first). Another friend hopes to get me to try Trout in SW Wisc this summer. I tried that once last summer, on my own, with no luck. And someday I would love to try my luck with Steelheads. I don't suppose they will be accessable in the later half of June.

So, any suggestions are welcome. I have asked a fellow fly fishing friend from my area to join me on this outing. He just recently joined these forums. I think this will be the first Michigan fishing experiance for both of us. I will be watching this thread, or you can drop me an e-mail.

Thanks in advance,
Ken S.
Owner: SmallieFishing.com
Member of the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance
Rivers: Fox, DuPage, Kishwaukee, Kankakee
Ponds: Fermilab Ponds, Blackwell Forest Preserve
Fishing primarily DuPage and Kane counties in NE Illinois

#2 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:09 AM

well your options as to what you want to fish for are just about endless from that part of the state. How far do you want to drive to get to where you're gonna fish?