Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Randyflycaster

Do all Ephemerellidae nymphs hatch slowly?

If not, do any of these hatch quickly?

(I'm preparing an eastern hatch chart.)

Ephemerella: subvaria, dorothea, invaria, guttulata.

Thanks,

Randy

Are you asking about time from egg to adult ... or time from hitting the surface to breaking out of the shuck?

Or maybe the time from the beginning of the emergence of a given species to the end of that emergence. A population of subvaria will take two or three weeks to emerge once they have started. Many other species will have a more compressed time frame, and some will have a longer time frame. In different locations, these hatches (same species,) will take place earlier or later depending on latitude, elevation, and other climate factors. A few species will hatch over a span of months rather than weeks.

Most individual insects that hatch in mid stream, will do so rather quickly. Some genera like Isonychia crawl out of the water on rock (like stone flies,)

Or maybe the time from the beginning of the emergence of a given species to the end of that emergence.

OH ... total time from the first bug to hatch to the last bug to hatch ... got it.

I mean from hitting the surface and breaking out their shucks.

I remember reading somewhere that Ephemerellidae nymphs hatch laboriously.

Randy

This depends mainly upon the temperature of the water and air. And when its cold the newly emerged dun may float some distance before taking to the air.