Fly Tying
flytire

what does your fly photography and or video setup look like?

i am curious on what your tying photography and or video setups look like

please show some photos and list your equipment

please no negative comments of tyers setups

thanks

norm

heres my photo setup

pdMAWyt.jpg

2 daylight full spectrum lights and a sunpak led light

tripod

nikon coolpix s9900 for photos. i also have a canon eos m for when i might dabble in tying videos

swappable craft paper backgrounds held in a typist document holder

I have probably well over $10,000 in photo equipment, + printers and studio lighting etc from when we did wedding and portraits as a business, that my wife has been on me to sell off ( be lucky to get $.10 on $10 worth today). However, here is my fly photography setup ( the blank page is not a mistake):

Instamatic camera like this one ...

camera.jpg

And whatever available light I have nearby ...

index (13).jpg

Richmond Flies 21.JPG
Richmond Flies 2018 020 (2).JPG

Mine's a little bit more complicated than Mike's.

post-309-0-98845200-1538752886_thumb.jpg

A cut off cardboard box lined with light blue foam, a plastic .45 Colt cartridge holder, a clip holder I picked up at Radio Shack years ago. There's a small table lamp above the box. The camera is an Olympus Stylus Tough.

Scott P. recently posted a picture of his setup on another board. It's pretty similar to Norm's. Both of them take great pictures.

A couple of years ago I bought a setup that consists of a folding frame with light diffusing cloth top and sides, and a blue cloth backdrop. It sets up into about an 18 inch cube. I use a couple of small halogen lamps that generate a lot of heat. I should switch to LED. My small Pentax point and shoot camera seems to take better and more consistent fly pictures than a fancier camera that I have.

i used to use this studio in a box but got rid of it due to no room to set it up

34447.jpg

That is like mine, it even came with those lamps. I don't have that camera mount. I use a regular tripod.

i used to use this studio in a box but got rid of it due to no room to set it up

34447.jpg

That is like mine, it even came with those lamps. I don't have that camera mount. I use a regular tripod.

Those are called light boxes,,been around a long time mostly used in macro photography. In a sense fly photography is macro or at least close up photography.. Back in the day ( not really so long ago) we needed expensive macro lenses to do that kind of photography, Today a relatively inexpensive point and shoot has very nice close up capability, as has been shown here in the forum time and again by many of those who ingratiate us with their photos and flies.. But good photography of any kind always starts with good use of lighting.

overall.jpg

Camera: Nikon CoolPix 5000 or Sony RX 100 II(Video)
Camera Stand: Asaba

Lighting: 2 Luxo Drafting Lamps + Vemcolite

Light Tent: Paper Cup lined with a flexible mirror on the bottom half
Various mirrors and bounce cards

I like this setup because it is just a matter of slipping my "paper cup"
over the vise head and putting the camera in position.
One of the cables I have coming off the camera plugs into my TV.
It helps me with critical focusing.

Kimo

I am astonished I always expected a more elaborate set up from both flytire and Kimo. I have a Olympus TG point and shoot but never get the quality of pics and I know its not the camera. Maybe it is time for me to find instruction online for photography 101.

i have been updating "my take on fly photography" on my blog

be aware i am no professional photographer with $$$$$ cameras and eqiupment

i prefer to post process all of my photos using photo editing software and the submit them to a photo hosting website

i preer not to post thumbnail sized attatchments from my hard drive

i just identify things that work for me

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/search?q=my+take

One thing in common, I believe, to the best pictures ... no movement. A stand to hold the camera and fly, so there is NO movement. Even the slightest hand shake will destroy the sharpness, no matter how perfect the focusing or expensive the equipment.

I could be wrong, but I'd bet none of the truly detailed pictures of flies are taken with a hand held camera.

taken with a hand held vs tripod mounted camera

a9qruyz.jpg

came out pretty good

however, i photograph my flies using a tripod mounted camera as shown in my post above