Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Haulibut fly fishing?!

Mark Knapp would be the guy to talk top about this he's in Africa at the moment but he's attempting to catch every Alaskan game fish with a fly rod including the saltwater ones.

I mainly use a 9w with heavy clausers in white. I fish los angeles county n orange county here in California. Keep it simple.

Why not? Hailibut are caught on soft molded lures so why not a fly? You wouldn't use a fly rod. Not to jig the bottom in 200' feet of water. But you could use a fly.

I fish for halibut and other deep sea fish with a fly rod and IGFA fly fishing methods quite a bit (ie. no extra weight, downriggers etc.). Down to about 120 feet. IGFA limits fly fishing depths to 120 feet but we often go deeper.

I use 9wts. to 16 wt..

If you like you can learn all about it on my blog here.

http://akflytyer.blogspot.com/

I've been doing it for six years so you can scroll back through the blog to see it all.

TIER, the blog will answer the questions in your PM to me.

Kinda depends on where you're after them. They're common in the bays and surf in SoCal where a 6 to 9 weight works fine with clousers, like Abel M said. I have friends who've caught them off river mouths in SE Alaska using clousers as well. In both instances the halibut aren't very big, but they're fun and something different to catch on the fly.

I would just go with whatever you normally fly fish for 350 to 400 lb fish with, but make sure to use a lead core sinking line and have a goodly amount of backing . . . especially if under a 6 weight line. ;-)