Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Recommend a Book on Coldwater fish species

Trout Species

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tcustomflies

tcustomflies

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:36 PM

Greetings from Texas,

I hope everyone is doing ok.  If your a deer hunter, hears to a great Deer hunting season for you.  I am seeing a lot of Does coming in to the feeder,  A few young Bucks are showing up to.

I plan on doing a  lot of fly tying during the winter months.  I am hoping someone can recommend a fantastic book on the subject of cold water trout species.  I want to learn as much as I can about these great little Big fish.  I was a bass fisherman for years then while recuperating from some major operations over the past decade I became interested in fly fishing and fly tying.  I have already learned a lot, but the more i learn the more i want to learn.

Thanks for your help and I pray that your lines may always be tight.

#2 Jaydub

Jaydub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 12:09 PM

It's not a fishing book, but for information about Trout and Salmon species, it doesn't get much better than:

Trout and Salmon of North America: Robert J. Behnke

#3 DavidR

DavidR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:20 AM

What Jaydub said.