Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Classified section needs help..

33 replies to this topic

#16 Simplejack

Simplejack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:59 AM

Classified section is usually always at the bottom of the page on forums, so I don't think there is a problem with that. 

Filtering the classified section can work, but I think there needs to be some adjustments for it to work properly.

The waiting 1 or 2 days for it to be posted is just way too long. I think if it was changed to a couple or a few hours is needed. Maybe even assign another person access to the classifieds as  moderator who can approve or deny new listings.

Once approved. The person needs to be able to edit his or her listing. Make changes or correct errors and to be able to lock the thread so people can see that it is sold before reading everything in the post to find out it's sold. 

I've seen some forum that automatically block people from posting unless they have a certain amount of post. So, instead of denying peoples listing or having to keep telling everyone the rules, it's automatically blocked, but also automatically granted access when they do have the right amount of post. 

Another good feature would be is if someone has over 300 posts or whatever, they don't have to wait for approval to post in the classifieds. 

Another option would be. This is just a idea. But to have a classified membership. Membership cost $2 per year to be able to post in the classified section. This is to keep random anonymous people from signing up or doing transactions with people. It's makes sure they have a current payment address on file. That way, if something ever happens, you have a record of who they are. Who wants to rip someone off if you have your payment information on file. Only can be used for bad transactions only if needed. Some people might feel safer this way to, I know I would. I'm sure there will be some anti government tinfoil hat people that don't approve, but not everyone can be happy right?

I've seen one of the best local gun forums go down in flames because they started charging people way too much to use the classified section, not the site is junk. It's was like $35 for 3 or 6 month. So not worth it for anyone who just post a $10 item once or twice a year. So, keep the membership low, just to get that info can help out in many different ways.

These are just ideas I thought I would share with you. The classified section will work without these things I suggested, but I thought they where worth mentioning.

I have close to 200 online sales on forums and Craigslist, so I do have some private party sales experience. Selling live fish, aquatic plants, guns, cars, automotive parts, collectible items, electronics and many other things.

Tying Flies Since October 2013 

HMH SX Pedestal Vise with Dr. Slick Tools.

#17 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,200 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

The waiting 1 or 2 days for it to be posted is just way too long. I think if it was changed to a couple or a few hours is needed. Maybe even assign another person access to the classifieds as  moderator who can approve or deny new listings.

Why is 1-2 days too long? As I said before this site is about sharing info and helping fellow fly fishers. If a quick sale is needed then not only is ebay & CL quicker, but it reaches a much broader audience.

Your concerns and suggestions are appreciated Jack, but keep in mind that Will (site owner) has not been responsive to being able to address things for the past year, in other words not only have I been helping run this place for the past 10 yrs, but the past year I have been pretty much handling everything myself when members have problems or any issue on the site that is not software/program related. So with a life outside of FTF, plus my own business I don;t feel 1-2 days till I get a chance to approve something is in any way too long.

I won't go into any long details so I will just say that I do appreciate your input, but the trading floor does work fine for now. If somewhere down the road Will gets back to doing things like he use to on the site then we can see if there's a better way to do things, but for now there's not a lot that can be done, or honestly needs to be done at this time.

Steve

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#18 Simplejack

Simplejack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Here's a example. This is my listing here http://www.washingto...aterials.95666/

I posted this late at night as you can see by looking at the posted time, if I would have just posted this in the morning, it would have been sold in minutes and my wallet is empty. I just received his payment 5 minutes ago. After he receives his package, I will delete the listing because it doesn't need to be sitting on the forums in the way of other listings. 

Either way, doesn't matter. Just pointing it out. 

#19 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,200 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

Like I said, this is not a place online with the main goal of the trading floor being the purpose of the site, (dont mean that in a negative way either, just stating the site purpose) so if there is a situation where you need money in 24-48 hrs then ebay, CL, or pawn shop is the way to go. Far as deleting when sold, very simple...when sold just reply with SOLD and it is taken care of and won't be in the way of new ads then without having to have anyone rewrite software.

Again not being negative towards you at all.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#20 Simplejack

Simplejack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

Can I get my post deleted please http://www.flytyingf...showtopic=77340

I tried sending you a PM and it's blocked from sending messages. I tried contacting the other person and got no response. I tried reporting and got nothing either. Not sure what else to do.. ?

I will re-list it at a later date, but right now I need it removed. I have some changes that need to be made. People who already viewed it aren't going to view it again if I edit it, so removing it and posting it some other time will get fresh views. I have some changes that need to be made that will better my listing. 

I have another post that has been all sold out a long time ago as well that has just been sitting there. 

#21 Njardar

Njardar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

Steve, your responses as an admin and contributor were spot on and appreciated. When I see something for sale/trade here I know it will not be spam. Your work to keep it this way is appreciated. I was not aware how much you had to deal with on a daily basis. Thank you!

#22 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,196 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

Seconding Njardar's comment.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#23 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,200 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:00 AM

Can I get my post deleted please http://www.flytyingf...showtopic=77340

I tried sending you a PM and it's blocked from sending messages.

Deleted for you Jack. There is no block on my PM's or yours whatsoever so no reason Pm's should have any problems between us.

I have another post that has been all sold out a long time ago as well that has just been sitting there.

So then reply with "All sold thanks" ...and problem solved.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#24 Simplejack

Simplejack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:51 AM

I mark sold on all my sold listings. 

I just tried to send you a PM again and it says "The member steeldrifter cannot receive any new messages"

And thank you for deleting those for me. 

#25 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,200 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:26 AM

Try sending me a test PM again. I know I was getting close to my pm box being full but I thought there was still about 2% room left. I just deleted a few so try sending me a test one now just to see if that was the prob.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#26 Simplejack

Simplejack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:50 AM

Yup, it sent. I figured that is what it was. I've had that happen before. Funny how it just blocks it from going through instead of saying it's full. But, at least we solved the problem smile.png thanks

#27 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,196 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

Try sending me a test PM again. I know I was getting close to my pm box being full but I thought there was still about 2% room left. I just deleted a few so try sending me a test one now just to see if that was the prob.

98% full ???  

Steve, you have tooooooooooooo many PMs sitting in there.  You have my permission to take a day and clear some of that old crap out of there.

Barbed hooks rule!

#28 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,200 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

That's more true than you know Mike. Because as an admin I think my PM box holds twice as many as a normal members does (it holds 400pms) so as I have said before, I'm always being contacted by someone for help, now you see I wasn't kidding lol

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#29 Rolf Jacobsen

Rolf Jacobsen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

Mike let’s write him a note to get out of work for a day, send him a case of beer, lock him in his room for the day  and solve this problem.

Brook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.

#30 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,196 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

I am with you, Rolf.  Steve, you have GOT to PRIORITIZE, Man !!!

Just list those PMs by date ... get rid of everything that's more than a week old.  Then type up a post saying, "Sorry if I didn't get to your PM ... Aquarium leaks, trees falling on things and ... life ... got in the way.  Please resend if necessary."

Rolf, I'll send him the note ... you send him the case of beer ... Okay???

Barbed hooks rule!

Reply to this topic