Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Not able to quote

13 replies to this topic

#1 add147

add147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

What am I doing wrong?  For some reason I am not able to quote folks from posts when I try to add to a post.  Making sense?

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,066 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

What am I doing wrong?  For some reason I am not able to quote folks from posts when I try to add to a post.  Making sense?

Seems to be working fine for me.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#3 Rolf Jacobsen

Rolf Jacobsen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:18 PM

Seems to be working fine for me.

Same here. Hit the quote button to the right and then write your post below it. Good Luck!

Brook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.

#4 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

Never has worked for me.  This is a weird site...  some things some people can do, and others can't.  Lots of people can't get the fly database to open.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#5 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,995 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:26 AM

add147

i dont know what youre doing wrong but why cant you just add to a thread without quoting?

does everybody really need to quote everything? especially threads with lots of photos in them!

simply reply to the poster! just like i did here!

Ignorance can be educated....

Crazy can be medicated....

But there's no cure for stupid

#6 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

There are times, especially as a thread ages and starts wandering away from the original post, when one might wish to refer or reply to another's post, and sometimes just one statement in that post.  This would seem to be an appropriate place to paste.  However, since I can't get paste to work, I generally refer to the name of the person I'm replying to, and work the relevant statement/issue into my own text.

I do agree that people who quote should avoid posting already posted pictures.  That's really annoying, and is why I gave up on opening the "(month) flies from the vise" threads. 

Maybe someone who knows how could post a "how to quote" thread, explaining how to quote only selected text instead of the entire previous post. 

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

John Steinbeck

Rudyard Kipling

#7 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

Yo, just press 'quote' then if you only want a selection of text, just delete the rest, make sure the open and close quote tags remain. Infact you could quote just using the tags and not even touch the button, just learn what the tags are.

#8 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

Yo, just press 'quote' then if you only want a selection of text, just delete the rest, make sure the open and close quote tags remain. Infact you could quote just using the tags and not even touch the button, just learn what the tags are.

#9 djtrout

djtrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

well, I just hit quote and it opened up the normal reply box, no quote.  I would like to solve this because sometimes folks ask me questions in the thread and I want to make sure everyone knows when i'm responding to an individual's question.  I do OK by referencing name and content, but why can't I quote?

All types of fishing challenge, inspire, and energize me; but a day of solitude on a brook trout stream reconciles me with the world.

#10 djtrout

djtrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

flytire,

like this.  this is what I do, just address the poster, so yeah i'm not all worked up about it, just think it would be nifty to use the quote function. 

All types of fishing challenge, inspire, and energize me; but a day of solitude on a brook trout stream reconciles me with the world.

#11 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

Actually I can't use a single one of the tools in the reply box toolbar.  I wish I could but I can't.  I'm just glad that I can participate in this forum at all.  Would be nice to be able to do what others can do.  Maybe I should take it personally?  :-)

(see... I can't even use the smiley face)

Agatha Christie

John Steinbeck

Rudyard Kipling

#12 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,995 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:48 AM

could it be your browser?

the company I work for just upgraded all computers with internet explorer 11 and I can use the quote button but nothing appears in the reply box

cut and paste function don't work either

I use chrome at home and all is good

#13 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,788 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

Seconding Flytire's problem.  I can't "quote" anybody at work.  Everything's fine at home.  I even get all functions at home on this work laptop.  So, I know it's the network settings, not the computer.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#14 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,995 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

I work for a very large defense company so maybe the NSA guys with the tin foil hats have something to do with blocking ie11 here at work

Reply to this topic