Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

New Topic Groups?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:24 PM

Would anyone else like to see one place to go for info on "two handed rod fishing" and "tube flies"?   Is it readily doable within the existing format? 

Rocco

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:32 PM

How the heck are "two handed rods" and "tube flies" related ???

I didn't realize tube flies could only be fished with two handed rods.  

I think the best place for an exclusive "rod" forum would be to go to the "Rod Builder's site" ... which Steve can guide you to.

Sorry ... I think there's enough different forums on this site ... some of which aren't even used on a weekly monthly annual basis.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:44 AM

while there are a lot of things doable within the existing format, we cant get the "fly pattern database" to work properly so adding 2 new categories that has already been talked about in "fly tying" and "fly fishing" is something thats probably never going to happen 

maybe more participation in the already existing threads regarding "tube flies" would be beneficial.

Someone stole my coffee cup. Now I have to go to the police station and look at mug shots.

I was about to tell a joke about time travelling, but you guy's didnt like it.

#4 Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:59 AM

Salmon, steelhead & seatrout tubeflies from the vise thread? I'll post pic's!

#5 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:16 AM

Mike,

You are way off base.

I mentioned two separate new groups, not any linkage!  

Moreover, there is a lot more to two handed rods including varieties, innovative new designs, uses of various line types in particular circumstances, makers. casting styles etc than just how to build them!  

Just feeling ornery tonite?

Rocco

#6 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:45 AM

Sorry Rocco, I'll take the hit for thinking you were connecting the two ... just the way I read it.

But I stand by my opinion on a separate section just for two handed rods.

Then we need one for tenkara poles.

And one for nymph rods.

Any one of the numerous "specialty" rods will have some fanatics that want their own forum.

You can start a thread on any topic, see how far the interest takes it ... no need for a special section exclusive to that style.

Look at how long "Fish Pictures" has run !!!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#7 Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:52 AM

Ahh, Tenkara & nymph can stay under flyfishing! With just doublehand rods, that means it caters for Salmon, Steelhead & Seatrout men & don't need 3 seperate one's! Doublehanded fly fishing is very differen't to single!

#8 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:29 PM

If one used a drone to drop the hook a quarter mile away, would that constitute "fly" fishing?

The good and sometimes (rarely) bad thing about this site is that it is free. IT support costs real bucks or valuable time. Seems to me that if it is cost-effective more forums could be added. Who underwrites the costs? Are there sponsors that want to pay up? After the level of interest is gauged, the site operators need to decide.

Let Rocco's proposition play out for a bit. I for one like the idea of tube flies, I am just not very good with them yet. There is a certain beauty about turning a discarded q-tip into a fish-catching device. So more specific information is helpful, the faster I find it, the better; but in the meantime this site is flexible enough while we wait for the technology to catch up with the technology.
Kenduardo's Lure & FlyBuffalo, WyomingEstablished: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!" 😎

#9 Jaydub

Jaydub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

I'd rather keep those topics in the fly fishing and bench categories. If we keep adding more categories, the forum could end up bloated like theflyfishingforum.com where they have around 100 separate categories to wade through.

Reply to this topic