Fly Tying
eastern fly

Fly tying scissors reviews.

I have a pair of hair scissors I got on sale at a fly shop and a small pair of scissors from Michael's that cost around 14$ both have served me well. I am pretty sure these are my hair scissors though mine are plain and don't have a label everything else is identical https://umpqua.com/products/fly-tying/tools/dreamstream-hair-scissor-475

I've got a pair of these Dr. Slick ... Pricey at $21.00 ... but I got mine in a 10 dollar grab bag.

Took a few times to get used to them, but now I love them.

I also have fingernail scissors from CVS/Walgreens ... and I love those, too.

Dr. slick razor scissors 4" model. Work great worth the 25$. They are sharp and have fine tip for close work. For hair I use a cheap pair of cabela's scissors. Wire, a fingernail clipper

I used to use the Dr. Slicks but have gone to these because of the price and the larger finger holes which are much more comfortable.

ergo-arrow-point-scissors.jpg

https://loonoutdoors.com/product/ergo-arrow-point-scissors/#

When I need to trim my thread off really close I use these.
They have convex blades that trim to the quick.

900.jpg

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/studio-35-beauty-2-in-1-nip-'n'-clip-cuticle-%26-nail-clipper/ID=prod6257613-product

Kimo

Tiemco deer hair scissors. Lightweight, extremely thin, fine point, razor sharp. Cuts the little bits on small flies. I've been able to clean out materials at the hook eye when tying too close to it. cuts everything clean and tight. I have dr slick micro tip and never use them any more

I have been using these 3 scissors for more than 20 years without a complaint: 4" Miltex 18-1416 curved, 4 1/2" Miltex 5-SC-304-TC straight, and 4" Dr. Slick straight. The price of the Miltex rivals some vices - but considering this as the most used tool on the bench, it is a pleasure to tie with them.

I used to use the Dr. Slicks but have gone to these because of the price and the larger finger holes which are much more comfortable.

ergo-arrow-point-scissors.jpg

https://loonoutdoors.com/product/ergo-arrow-point-scissors/#

Kimo

Kimo,

I so wanted to like these scissors. The fine point looks like it would cut so close. However my experience the eye holes does not match mine. I tie with scissors on my thumb and middle finger. With the current Dr. Slick's I use, I can slide them back and forth across my knuckles with no problem. I hold the scissors close to my hand when I am tying, then I can slide them into cutting position almost by instinct. The Loon's were more oblong than round, and they would get hung up. They were just not natural in my hand.

I really did want them to work out.

Another vote for Dr. Slick 4" razor scissors. I finally bought a pair a little over a year ago and just haven't looked back. I hold them on my middle finger when I tie and can quickly insert my thumb to cut something.

They just feel more comfortable to me than anything else I've tried.

I have used the Dr. Slick razor scissors for a number of years. I bought the Dr. Slick tungsten carbide scissors a year or so ago to more easily cut the 30 denier GSP thread that I like to use. In the last couple of weeks, I purchased the Loon razor scissors because the Dr. Slick razor scissors were finally beginning to dull a little, but just a little. They work great. All 3 pairs are of superior quality and are excellent and I would highly recommend them all.

Joe

Ive been using Amvil Ice most of my 50 years of tying.

Tried lots of others, I just keep back going back to them.

My biggest issue with most scissors is the finger loops not big engough for my fat suasage fingers...I tie with my scissors in my hand and like the other poster said they need to slide back and forth over my knuckles effortlessly.

Anvil you can bend the loops to fit you. Except with the new blue handled ones its really hard...the reds were much easier. I called and bitched about it to no avail..they changed the tempering on them because people would over bend them and break them.

I sent 4 pair back to them to have them bend them for me....no charge

👍

Ive looked at those Loons a few time just never pulled the trigger on them same with their bobbin

I use the Dr Slick as well. I lied to myself and used to use some cheap pair from Michaels, but ended up getting the Slicks a couple months ago. It really is night and day.

I think also it depends on the flies you are tying. If you are tying those tiny trout flies, you may want a pair of extra small/fine tips to get into the small areas...