Fly Tying
WA5DX

Bead Head Wooly Bugger on a Jig Hook

Hello everybody,

I did a search here on the forum and could not find any links to a Fly that I like to tie up. It is a Bead Head Wooly Bugger tied on a Jig Hook. In the Spring time here on Sam Rayburn Lake it is normal for the lake to be up above normal power pool level. The shoreline moves back up on the grass and other brush and the fish feed in this area. I throw a Fly up in all this cover and I have found that the Bead Head Jig Hook allows me to fish these spots and not get hung up as much as a regular hook. I would like to see other photos of similar Flies or suggestions to make on my Fly.

Have a great day,

Thomas

post-62444-0-80189800-1523624354_thumb.jpg

Do it all the time. Try reversing the bead, so the big hole faces forward. That will allow the bead to move forward a bit, and raise the center of gravity. Also, try using a 60 degree jig hook. Another option is to use bead chain eyes on a normal hook. That will also cause the fly to swim hook-point up.

They work great for just the conditions you mention.

Hi and thanks for the information, I will give it a try. I do use the Bead Chain for eyes when I am not throwing up in the grass. I must admit that I push my luck and throw a fly in spots many times when I know it will get hung-up. Again, thanks.

Have a great day,

Thomas

I can't tell what size the fly is but the shank looks fairly short. I'd suggest for looking for jig hooks not intended for fly fishing. Eagle Claw makes then down to size 10 with a long shank. For pan fish I like to use size 8 and size 6. For bass I'll tie them on hooks up to 2/0. I would definitely go with either the 60 degree or even 45 degree hooks. You can slide the bead forward with them. You only need to make two or three wraps in front of the bead to hold it in place. That color combination is a great crayfish imitation. I've got some tied up in one of my storage boxes. I'll dig them out tomorrow and take a couple of pictures.

Weighting a stonefly nymph hook with a bead and some non toxic lead wire will get it to ride hook point up. This one's a Saber 7033. It has a great action.

post-52832-0-51384600-1523690015_thumb.png

Hi Philly,

The shank on this hook (size 6) is I guess you would call standard length for a Jig hook. It is shorter than a straight hook and the way I tie it does make it to look shorter. As you can see, I do not push the Bead all the way up to the eye of the hook. I do tie some on Jigs where I push the Bead passed the bend up to the eye on size 6 and larger. The Crawfish color seems to work really well in the shallow water here on Ole Sam. I would like to see some of your flies and thanks for you help and I will look at the Eagle Claw Jig hooks.

Have a great day,

Thomas

Hello islander727,

Really like the way the point of the hook rides up, thanks for sharing.

Here are two photos of a Shrimp that I tie up using a Tungsten body weight to get the point up. I use this fly in both fresh water and saltwater.

Thanks again,

Thomas

post-62444-0-40008600-1523712819_thumb.jpg

post-62444-0-62800300-1523712820_thumb.jpg

Like phg, do it all the time. Most of my smaller buggers are tied on 60 degree barbless jig hooks. The shanks are shorter on these Allen Hooks than most people tie buggers but I like that. Have fished well for me the little I get to use them. Just completed a couple of different swaps where I tied buggers on jig hooks with tungsten beads. Ride hook up and hook well.

Hello everyone,

OK, I have spent some time trying to find other sources for a 60 degree Jig Hooks in size 6 and smaller. J. Stockard is the company that I buy from now for the barbed hooks and Allen for the barbless. If anyone has additional sources I would appreciate that information.

I made a short video on the Crawdad pattern fly and posted it on my Youtube site but cannot figure out how to add it to this post.

Thanks for all the help, have a great day,

Thomas

Hi chugbug27,

Just visited their site and saw several items that I will order from them, really like the Slotted Tungsten Beads.

Thanks for the info and have a great day,

Thomas

Hey again islander727,

It appears you glued or epoxied the Bead in place....is that correct? If so what did you use. That should work just as well on a straight shank hook. Really like that idea, thanks.

I returned to the web site that chugbug27 gave to me and ordered several sizes of the tungsten beads along with some of their hooks.

Can't wait to tie up some new patterns now. Poor little fish here on Ole Sam don't stand a chance now...he he

Thanks to everyone,

Thomas

The umpqua u series jig hooks are very good imo especially for the price 7$ ish for a 50 pack they come in a pretty large range of sizes as well.

WA5DX, here's a couple of bead head buggers I tied up on Eagle Claw 60 degree jig hooks. The white one is tied on a 2/0 hook and the brown one, my version of a cray fish pattern. It's based on a bugger variation called the Chili Pepper.

post-309-0-87522800-1523753782_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-81149400-1523753801_thumb.jpg