Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fletchfishes

Kangaroo Pelt?

I was the recipient of a full kangaroo pelt in the annual yankee swap at my work. Anyone here ever use kangaroo? The hair is long and very soft. Not very straight either. Thinking maybe nymph dubbing - but wondering if anyone else is familiar with the material. The other idea that has occurred to me is to make zonker strips.

It's a nicely preserved pelt - clearly meant to be hung on the wall, but not really our style of decor. Almost a shame to cut it up.

Any suggested uses would be appreciated!

If it is good enough for a wall try seeing if someone will swap for more fly related items.

If you do decide to cut it up try using the long fibres for wings on streamers, steelhead patterns etc. Use it where goat is called for in patterns.

Score! Black roo fur is my absolute number 1 winging material for small atlantic styled flies, size 8 and below....fantastic to work with, we also use it as dubbing in split thread for the props of intruders etc. i think nymphs too, the list goes on but here are some roo wings. Nearly forgot to mention, shrimp flies, charlies, carp bugs too.

PC292071_zpscd150056.jpg

Those flies are great Jam, if you do struggle with the skin Dave then I'm sure folk on here will gladly take some.

Piker is right...those are great looking flies. Dave, I thought that I had a decent collection of strange and unusual hair and fur but you have me wanting to get my hands on some kangaroo hair now. This addiction only gets worse...I can't even go to a museum any more because I find myself wanting to take a little pair of scissors and a few ziplock bags...just a little pinch and snip off that critters back side and they will never miss it......just pluck a few feathers from those birds and fluff it up a little to cover the bare spot...I am just joking of course...but I will be dreaming of kangaroos now. Since we are in that section of the globe, maybe someone out there has some wombat hair they want to part with.

Great flies. I knew kangaroo was tasty, ate it at a restaurant in South Carolina. I would message Li'lDave if you had any questions about Kangaroo.

I was given a tiny baggy of wallaby some years ago which I have reserved for special flies. The hair is very spikey, much like squirrel. But the colouration is unique- a mixture of greys ranging from silver to black. Makes handsome dubbing. I don't know how your kangaroo compares, but I would be happy to take a small patch should you decide to share your windfall.

Good info - thanks folks!

Quick question: if I were to cut this into strip / patches to share with folks on here, what would be a good size patch to create? I was thinking something like 4" square? I'm thinking I could offer to provide the first X number of folks that PM me and send a self addressed envelope a patch - but I need to determine the patch size before figuring out how many patches I could provide!

Please don't start PM'ing me with requests yet.. I'll post something if I decide to go ahead with this.

Thanks!

U got a red roo or the grey one?

From personal experience, DO NOT SHIP INTERNATIONAL WITHOUT KNOWING THE PROPER PAPERWORK!!!!!!!

One can get in a great deal of trouble if fur/skins are shipped without proper paperwork, trust me on this one, I tried it once and it didn't turn out well.

Blane