Fly Tying
Trampus

Tie Larger Sizes First?

Hey all!

I am just beginning like most here and I am having trouble with tying size 14 flies..maybe it's my eyes or maybe my coordination but they don't turn out very well. Would it benefit me to tie larger size flies to develop some technique before moving down to the smaller ones?

When I start tying a new pattern, I always tie 3 to 6 in the largest size acceptable and then move 1 size smaller and do the same thing until I have tied 3 to 6 of each size in the size range for that fly. It makes tying smaller versions much easier.

Hey all!

I am just beginning like most here and I am having trouble with tying size 14 flies..maybe it's my eyes or maybe my coordination but they don't turn out very well. Would it benefit me to tie larger size flies to develop some technique before moving down to the smaller ones?

When I first started tying I tied things like Woolly Worms and Woolly Buggers, I want to say in size 8 and caught fish. As the need arose I added smaller wet flies and some dries. Some good youtube videos and a decent tying book should get you going pretty well. Smaller flies are an acquired skill but size 14 shouldn't be too rough to master, once you know the steps and have gained a feel for material and thread control.

What patterns are you trying to tie ?

Joe... what do you fish for in Central Florida with hooks that tiny?

Joe... what do you fish for in Central Florida with hooks that tiny?

Tarpon... lol no just like tying small flies. Makes tying saltwater flies like tying on a gaff.

My wife got me one of those magnifying lights for tying. Use it for tying and rod building. I can see a lot of detail with it. They are about $30.

When I started tying over 30+ years ago, I was fortunate to take a class from Andre Puyans. Andy was a California Hall of Fame flyfisherman and an excellent fly tying instructor. He had us start tying on size 10 hooks and suggested that we use that size for all of our practice tying. I believe he wanted us to tie on a large fly so that we could learn to get our proportions correct.

Could be it's not the size hook but rather the complexity of the fly and the material being used. What are you trying to tie.

Could be it's not the size hook but rather the complexity of the fly and the material being used. What are you trying to tie.

I agree. For instance, a size 14 Chironamid emerger would be easy to master but a Royal Wulff rather difficult. A Hares Ear nymph fairly easy, I think it was number two on the instructional list in my Orvis Fly Pattern book I learned from years ago. Everything spins off the easier patterns in progression in that book and a lot of other books ( actually some other books probably do more patterns). You're absolutely right though, it's not always the size but pattern complexity and proportions too.

If you aren't happy with the turn out;razor blade it and try again!I love tying small mayfly patterns on 22s and 24s.Take your time,have some patience and one day it will click on like a light!Tight lines buddy!

Thank you everyone for the great feedback! I had a good laugh too! I do have one of those magnifying lights on my rod building bench so I will move it over for sure. And I think you were right Poopdeck about the material being used....I was starting with a very simple pattern...the Utah Killer Bug and was having trouble controlling the twisted yarn at the end when I was tying it off with my thread. Perhaps I need to stop the body a wrap or so further back from the eye? I did actually finish a few but they don't look anywhere as nice as Tim's do on YouTube lol. Practice makes perfect I guess

Thank you everyone for the great feedback! I had a good laugh too! I do have one of those magnifying lights on my rod building bench so I will move it over for sure. And I think you were right Poopdeck about the material being used....I was starting with a very simple pattern...the Utah Killer Bug and was having trouble controlling the twisted yarn at the end when I was tying it off with my thread. Perhaps I need to stop the body a wrap or so further back from the eye? I did actually finish a few but they don't look anywhere as nice as Tim's do on YouTube lol. Practice makes perfect I guess

I think a common problem beginners have with tying off materials is just thread tension. REALLY focus on keeping the tension on your turns. Ill use my right hand to hold material to the hook tightly, while my left hand grabs the bobbin and loosely does one wrap over the material then I let go with the left hand, and grab the bobbin again and pull tight, and then switch the bobbin to the right hand and make a few securing wraps, let the bobbin hang, and lift the material with my left hand up, and cut with my right. I try to get the material to "shoot off the shank" from the very top, if that makes sense. Let us know how it goes!

well... thanks everyone for the insight. I had been trying to tie the UKB in size 14 and 16 on an Allen scud hook. I recently read an article by Jason Klass (a must read if you enjoy clever humor) on the the UBK and he says he only ties it in size 10 (as you recommended NohackleHS) so I tried it and lo and behold tied some fairly respectable flies. Thanks for the Tips on 'Shooting off the shank' Elusive cause it really helped me tie the fly off at the end. So thanks again everyone and tight lines....and if you like a great read...here is Jason's article on the Killer Bug http://tenkaratalk.com/2012/04/confessions-of-a-killer-bug-addict/

I started with salt water flies then worked my way down. I have tied as small as a 22 but that was just to see if it was possible. you can learn techniques on larger hooks the apply them to the smaller hooks. imo.