Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

The What's In A Name Swap

Okay, I might be going out on a limb here, but I'm willing to bet there's a few here who will join me in a slightly unusual swap, because I don't think I'm the only one who loves the names we give to fly patterns. I mean, seriously, what other hobby would allow you to legitimately get away with owning a Sex Dungeon? Or to keep a few Bitch Creek Nymphs tucked away in a special place? Or your very own Stacked Blonde? I can't be the only person who's noticed and come to enjoy this little quirk of our craft.

So here's the deal--pick the fly that you think has the coolest name and tie up a few to swap. I'll kick it off by doing the Earl Madsen Buzzsaw. I'd like to have at least 6 swappers, and a maximum of 12 (including the SM).

And, based on the recent "What Makes Swaps Good or Bad" thread, some slightly modified rules:

1. Please put both your screen name and your real name on the toe tags, along with the pattern name

2. Please include a pattern recipe! You only have to send one of these, just on a scrap of paper or whatever. I will post photos of the flies with their recipes after the flies all mailed back out to the swappers.

3. Please include a self-addressed return envelope with adequate postage already attached with your flies. As usual, place the flies in a durable container that can be returned to you. Sucrets or Altoids type tin is fine.

Due Date will be Halloween (October 31). That should give us enough time to tie and get them in before the Holiday craziness starts.

First 6-12 with a "I'm in" are in.

1. Bryon Anderson (SM) - Earl Madsen Buzzsaw DONE smile.png

2. Vicrider - Halloween Pistol Pete, Gut Bomb (2 flies) RECEIVED smile.png

3. Atxdiscgolfer - Trout Crack RECEIVED smile.png

4. Cannonx4 - Golden Nugget RECEIVED smile.png

5. Eastern Fly - Chubby Sex Chicken RECEIVED smile.png

6. Rifflesteelheadslayer - Mattress Thrasher RECEIVED :)

7. Flytire - Girdle Bug RECEIVED smile.png

8. Add147 - Bitch Creek Nymph RECEIVED smile.png

9. Jolly Red - Cow Dung RECEIVED smile.png

10. Netabrookie - Goldie Hawn, Montreal Whore (2 flies) RECEIVED smile.png

11. Joseph Russell - Bloody Mary RECEIVED smile.png

12. Kudu - Zack's Sack RECEIVED smile.png

SWAP IS FULL!

Like I said, I've been chomping at the bit for another swap. I'll get in. Let me do a little research. Something out there should beckon to me for a combination of name, good looks, fish triggering qualities, and tying within my comfort level.

I wouldn't mind this but I don't think any of my own flies has a name like that. I have stuff like Gizmo, Ghost and Gremlin. Here is a taste of something recent.

post-3866-0-58409100-1409875561_thumb.jpg

post-3866-0-81913000-1409875591_thumb.jpg

post-3866-0-74708100-1409875617_thumb.jpg

post-3866-0-40496500-1409875640.jpg

I'm in if it's ok, I'll have to go looking for something to tie.

Cannonx4, of course it's okay, you're in! Let me know when you find a pattern that speaks to you.

I wouldn't mind this but I don't think any of my own flies has a name like that. I have stuff like Gizmo, Ghost and Gremlin. Here is a taste of something recent.

Eastern Fly, those are some great looking ties. Glad to have you aboard for this one. I forgot to mention, but self-named flies are fine; it doesn't have to be a pre-existing pattern. Let me know when you've picked a pattern, but I will go ahead and count you in.

Like I said, I've been chomping at the bit for another swap. I'll get in. Let me do a little research. Something out there should beckon to me for a combination of name, good looks, fish triggering qualities, and tying within my comfort level.

Im in with the infamous Trout Crack fly

Vicrider and Atxdiscgolfer, you're in, thanks for joining! Let me know when you pick a pattern Vicrider.

For anyone looking for inspiration in the name department, here are a few candidates:

Mickey Finn Green Butt Skunk

Parmachene Bell Madam X

Sneaky Pete Ugly Radamus

Pistol Pete Bloody Butcher

Undertaker Goofus Bug (aka Humpy)

Wascally Wabbit Ditch Pig

Winter's Hope Greenwell's Glory

Fat Bastard Meat Whistle

Then of course there are the patterns of Kelly Galloup, which probably deserve their own category:

Zoo Cougar

Sex Dungeon

Stacked Blonde

T&A Bunker

Peanut Envy

Butt Monkey

I'd like to give this swap a shot! Since this is my first swap and I have only been tying since March I would like to tie the Bitch Creek Nymph if that is okay? I watched a tier in New Braunfels, Texas at an Expo tie those in my opinion neat looking flies plus I have all of the material to tie them. May I join this swap???