Fly Tying
FlaFly

First Peony of the season

It's been a while since anyone posted here. It's spring in North Carolina. (this was actually taken a week ago).

post-52210-0-90731700-1463094919_thumb.jpg

Thanx KYTB. I apologize to all that I didn't resize the photo to fit on the screen.

Nice! My peonys won't even think about flowering till mid June (Alberta, Canada)

We have 16 plants (various). They're all blooming now, but every time there's a heavy rain, it pounds the blooms to bits, or leaves the whole stem and bloom on the ground. Fortunately they keep adding new blooms. That one was Fiesta Maxima.

I'll post a couple more I like separately.

Yeah that's the only down side to peonies, the rain can really ruin the blooms so much easier than it does other plants it seems. Last year mine had just got full bloom and the next day was a hard rain and knocked them all off and that was the only bloom for the whole year last year on mine. Once mine bloom I'll snap a pic of them.

One great up-side is how fast they grow. When we get up to NC usually early April, the daffodils are about spent and the tulips are all blooming, but there isn't much of anything else (except the blooming trees like dogwoods, redbuds, etc.). But one day we'll spot these little pointy red shoots peeking out of the soil. By the time two weeks have passed, they're already several feet tall and bushy. And starting to bud. Those first blooms were taken around the first week of May!

Finally had one bloom open while I was away this weekend, no idea what happens to the 2nd bloom but looks like it was chewed off. I have some other smaller buds on it but it almost looks like the other smaller buds are turning brownish. You know much about issues with these Peonys FlaFly? Mind if I show ya a pic of the brownish buds and see if you can tell what's going on with mine?

Wouldn't hurt but I may or may not see anything. One problem people have with peonies blooms is that they don't like too much fertilizer. If I fertilized them at all, I'd do it after the blooms are all spent, but the foliage remains. I wouldn't add any fertilizer to the new spring shoots.

Okay here they are. First pic of the overall plant. You can see it looks pretty healthy, nice and green and does have one nice big bloom on it. 2nd pic though, hopefully it's clear enough in the pic, there's about 5 of the 6 blooms that seem like they got to a small size and then stopped and just turned brown for some reason.

misc%20001_zpsvbgzoeze.jpg

misc%20002_zpsrw2xeicw.jpg

Two things I remember from Indiana. One I am not sure of the truth of it, the other based on location ...

1) Location. Peonies require somewhere around 5 hours or more of sunlight to bloom. Even a long cloudy/rainy period, if it starts just after the buds start forming, can stunt the buds enough to prevent blooms. I remember Dad digging out bushes as the Maples grew, because they weren't getting enough sun anymore.

2) I don't know if this helped or not, but Dad always had us out there, as soon as the petals fell. We "topped" every seed case off the bushes. Dad said that since they wouldn't waste energy making seeds, they would create more blooms the following year. Like I said, I don't know if "topping" was the reason, but a whole row of bushes with TONS of bloom sure was pretty each year.