Fly Tying
Guest Big E

Which Bobbin?

Guest Big E

Ok...I've been thru a few sets of bobbins now and can't seem to find one that I like. What's everyone using?

C&F, Rite bobbin, Tiemco ceramic and Dr. Slick. I like the C&F the most.

I like the bobbins Gudebrod used that were standard size sewing thread bobbins. I dislike the old Danville bobbins the most with the slit in on end big enough to hide the QEII in. But if you mean bobing holders I only use the original Matarelli bobbin holders.

But if you mean bobing holders I only use the original Matarelli bobbin holders.

sure, it holds a bobbin, but this isn't The Sewing Forum, and in fly tying it's very acceptable to call it just a bobbin.....and companies label them as such when selling them. :P

but, either way, i have a simple something or other bobbin (holder) and the thing i like the most is it's ceramic on both ends and the large size.

Automatic bobbin all the way for me. I have the norlander ones but anyone would probably do.

Griffin ceramics in a couple different sizes ($12-13 at your local shop) that have really held up well and do what I ask of them. I also have a Rite ceramic bobbin($20) that I use for deer hair and woolhead work when I'm using GSP or 210 denier and really want to put the shoes to it!

Scotty. :D

Midge bobbin, I beleive they are made by Renzetti. Its preety much the same as all the others but they use a very thin tube. I really like the thin tube because it lets me be very precise in the positioning of the thread. I know most will say it does not matter, but after using this bobbin when I try to use a standard sized tube I notice a difference.

Good Luck, Tony

I use the Renzetti midge for all my realistic work as its so fine in the tube and Tiemco ceramic for all other tying.

Just an aside I awlys re spool all my threads onto small sewing machine bobbins I find them much more comfortable in the hand.

Tight threads

Mike......................... B)

Guest Big E

I picked up a Renzetti Midge the other day and I've broken quite a lot of thread with it so far. Can't seem to get it adjusted properly.

I used to tout the cheaper terra/imported bobbins. The ones that cost 2 or 3 bucks. I had several I used for many years and liked. However a few months ago almost all of them started breaking thread. It took several years but they had all developed grooves. I got my $$ out of them but still........

I pitched them all and bought several Dr. Slick ceramic and Griffin ceramic. They seem to work very well. I've not heard a bad thing about either. I also hear the matarelli bobbins are very good and very durable even though they are not ceramic.

Greg

Yes, the stainless tubes usually groove at some point and those burs like to cut the thread. I dont even sell stainless bobbins at my store; unless someone wants me to order one specifically.

You'll never have a problem with Griffin or Doc Slick. Good tying.

Hi Big E,

I've tied on ceramic bobbins for about 25 years that were manufactured by different companies. In the recent past I've had my own made for me and been very pleased with them. Fast forward a bit to the very recent past when I did a product review on the Mitch's Whirler, a ceramic bobbin with dubbing hook incorporated in the tool. I liked it so much I ordered 24 from Wasatch Angling Tools for Gretchen and me to use in our day-to-day tying (12 bobbins each). No we don't sell them, we're just happy customers. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com