Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adam Saarinen

Pike&Musky flies from the vise!

post-55238-0-48710200-1472405288_thumb.jpg Partridge Universial Predator X #8/0, 35mm Fishskull articulated shank, Bauer power rattle, Jumbo wiggle tail & 18mm FTS eyes! 12" long, longer when tail is swimming!

great big flies.... How do you cast them - easy -downwind (and don't forget to duck). Seriously, when I have an angler and we're working a big, big fly I set the skiff so that it's slightly quartering towards his/her weak side, yet with the wind as much behind us as possible. My usual advice is to only cast 30 or 40 feet -then shoot an additional amount to get where you're going. Trying to make a long cast with a big bulky fly isn't very productive at all....

How do you cast that thing?

Spinning rod lol!

I agree Joseph. Someone recently posted a quote from one of Americas flyfishing icons " Some days are for bugs and some days are for plugs." When it gets to a 12 inch fly I think I'm switching to a rapala. Besides most of the pike I catch might be more interested in spawning with that thing than eating it.LOL

Les

Having thrown some like that but not quite as bad you use a "Belgium Loop" cast. this is a cast where you keep the line to your right and circle it without making a complete stop. Keep the forward cast to your right, drop rod tip as the beast flies by, and like said, shoot as much line as possible. These aren't made for false casting for sure.

Wicked looking fly Adam! For those wondering about casting these flies, I had the opportunity to cast one of Adam's pike flies and it casted a lot easier than I expected it would, and I am certainly no world class caster. Of course it helped that there was no wind. A lot of these flies are lighter than you think, especially if it is hollow tied which really gives the allusion of bulk without really adding too much of it. Similar thing happens with palmered marabou.

Adam, seeing your fly in the water made me want to take a stab at pike/musky flies to use in the salt. Here's my first attempt at one. It needs a lot of work but should fish alright

post-18514-0-28809800-1472436546_thumb.jpg

Adam, I tie many flies of similar size and composition for pike and don't have any major problems casting them at fishing distance. My setup is a Beulah 8wt rod with either a Rio Outbound Short or Rio Pike/Musky 9wt line.

I'm curious as to what your rod/line consists of?

Those Fishon Wiggle Tails look great in the water. Too bad I have to order them from Italy, I can't find a US distributor. (FISHON Wiggle Tails, not some substitute).

MuskyFlyGuy! Thankyou! I probably won't get in the swap, return postage would be a fortune for me! But if i have time i might send extras for the swappers that fish for Musky & Pike!

FIN-ITE 34! Thankyou! All my pike lines have been from Loop, Guideline & Vision! But the other week while looking in the line bargin bin in the fly shop i found Rio Outbound WF11F/I, Rio Scandinavian Pike WF10F/S2, SA Tarpon WF-12-F Horizon, all 3 for 100euros, each will be used to slow down the rod in the wt under!